Re: Star Wars... It's not the hype

Mike McVey wrote:

However, after seeing the "Special Edition" version in 1997--dubbed

> into Spanish in Caracas--I must say I find it a total bore.

um, do you speak Spanish? that could be a reason you know. ;-) and why did
you watch it?

> Despite
> the 3D effects, the characters are 2 dimensional cliches, the plot is
> without the slightest surprise, and "the force" is void of any
> substance--like a Kool Aid sugar buzz.

I don't agree. Yes, sometimes the acting is bad.  but as far as depth I
think they did well creating a wide variety of characters and behaviors.
Presented many more types of characters than I have seen anywhere. and as
far as a sci-fi movie. for that time (and even now) it was well based and
was totally new thing that bridged a gap for some more sci-fi movies and in

a way IMO for other more developed movies. Watch the other sci-fi shows. I,

becuase I currently live in Romania, have seen some of the older sci-fi
shows from that era... they have no plot, no special effects, characters
and acting stink. they are plain stupid. with exception of a couple shows.

And I never saw the force as being void of substance. rather the underlying

substance for all.

> I, for one, think special effects are terribly overrated, and lament
> the apetite for this stuff that Lucas, Spielberg, et al, have built
> into our culture.

is there a problem with what they have built into our culture? I for one
see it has enriched my life and my imagination. I see nothing wrong with
what I have come to desire and appreciate.

> So much that is wrong with Hollywood could be traced to "Star Wars:"

LOL

> 2.) Obsession with the "blockbuster"

it wasn't the first 'blockbuster' so I don't think you can trace it back to

this.  and if a movie is well enough (for most people's standards) to be a
blockbuster I see no reason why people shouldn't be semi-obseesed with it.
we do for music and other things. why not movies?

> 3.) Poor scripts, written to be fully understood by 10 year olds.

it's not a poor script. and just because it was written to be understood by

10 year olds it's not a bad thing. because it means you can take your
family to the movie. I saw it when I was a little girl and I loved it. and
I understood it. I saw it again a couple years ago and still loved it. I
don't go to watch something becuase it's a blockbuster. I go because I
enjoy the show. I don't go to somethign that I feel has a poor script. yes,

occassionaly I giggle at the bad acting. but hey, it's life.

The feel I got from your email was if you like this movie you are a dork.
and no one on the list likes being degraded. We havne't said anyone was
crazy not to like it.

I respect the fact that you don't like it. that's fine. but making it a
basis for a deeper argument against movie industry all together is
ludicrous.

Amy