Re: Re: Star Wars... It's not the hype

In a message dated 5/17/99 10:33:00 AM, trance at radiks_net wrote:

>As Lucas recently pointed out to Katie Couric, there is good violence and
there
>is
>bad violence.  Whether or not you agree, that's something to consider.
There is
>also the fact that Star Wars displayed a very - *very* - tame brand of
violence
>akin to the WWII films that John Wayne had been making for years and years.
So
>they used blue-screens instead of ketchup packets - why does it matter?  It
>doesn't.  SW didn't introduce violence to the movies.

You know, I just spent a VERY enjoyable evening last week watching the
original Star Wars. I'm going back over it again, and I'm thinking: except
fpr the Cantina scene, where we are more fully given to understand Obi-Wan's
limits and character, I don't recall seeing any blood in that film. Am I
wrong? And I think the word we're all looking for is "Gratuitous." As in,
none of the violence in that movie is gratuitous.

>>3.) Poor scripts, written to be fully understood by 10 year olds.
>
>And what, exactly, is wrong with that?  I'm not smelling a little
highbrowism,
>am
>I?  The deepest truths, the most touching sympathies, the most spectacular
>imaginations can be realized by ten-year-olds, and it takes a rare genius
(Jim
>Henson comes to mind) who can pull such things off without alienating the
adult
>audience.  Any film or book (Narnia, anyone?) that can supercede our
culturally
>imposed distinctions of age-level focus should be lauded, not berated.

Anyone here ever read "The Uses of Enchantment" by Bruno Bettelheim? All our
most profoundly-felt stories draw on myths and archetypes that are a
fundamental part of our culture, our collective unconscious. Luke's journey
in the first movie, and in the first three, is the classic Hero's Journey.
You wouldn't call the Iliad oversimplified, and I think that's the beauty of
the SW films: they're simple and classical and bear universal-- er, no pun
intended-- truths

>>4.) Shallow characters that undergo no important development.
>
>"Shallow characters" is a fairly relative term, and I guess everyone is
entitled
>to their opinion.  But you misspeak when you assert that the charcters
undergo
>no
>important development.  Luke undergoes terrifying character development.
Compare
>the whiny, cocky farmboy dreamer to the hard-edged, confident, and wary
warrior
>who confronts the Emperor. And it's not a shake-and-bake transformation,
either.
>We get to live through those experiences that change him, and we believe it
when
>it's done.  Much like real-life, you don't notice it so much while it's
happening,
>but retrospect makes it clear.
>

>Han's development is just as pronounced, if more subtle.
*Darth-frickin-Vader*
>undergoes a fantastically subtle and powerful transformation that spans all
three
>films.  How many movies actually take the time to not only develop their evil
>characters, but to save their wicked souls?

Sing on, brother.

Let's not forget that although in retrospect, seen through 20 years of more
sci-fi movies, more violence, more over-the-top effects, Star Wars looks
fairly sedate. But at the time, it blew most of us away.

Jeez. There's no sex, all the violence makes sense, no gratuitous blood, and
we STILL flock to it! Whazzup wit DAT?

I'll take Star Wars and Lucas or Speilberg over "I Still Know What you Did
Last Summer And I'm Gonna Make Sure Everyone Sees It, You Perv!" any day.