Re: Star Wars... It's not the hype

"Mike McVey" <mmcvey at uic_edu> sez:
>Dear Listies,
>
>I know many of you have seen Stars and more than a few like it. I
>must dissent!

uh oh.

>I must say I have very little desire to see "Phantom Menace," unless
>it be at home, where I can mock its (likely) stupidity.

That's what Jackie Chan's old Hong Kong flicks are for.

Let's hear it for 'Half A Loaf Of Kung Fu'!

>So much that is wrong with Hollywood could be traced to "Star Wars:"

Most can be traced to other sources as well.

>1.) Violence as computer enhanced spectacle.

Personally, I think 'The Last Starfighter' and 'Tron' did more for CG in
movies than any of the Star Wars flicks.

>2.) Obsession with the "blockbuster"

This goes back to the early 70's with star-studded casts in movies like
'The Godfather' and 'Apocalypse Now'.

>3.) Poor scripts, written to be fully understood by 10 year olds.

See any Ed Wood movie.

>4.) Shallow characters that undergo no important development.

A character who goes from whiny farm boy to hotshot starfighter pilot (in
just the first movie) has no important development?

A character who goes from pure greedy mercenary to a man with some
conscience and ends up fighting with the good guys and eventually joining
their cause has no important development?

Keep in mind, that the premise is a very simple one.   Good guys vs. bad
guys a long, long time ago in a galaxy far far away.
--
NP: Tears For Fears - _The Hurting_
http://mygod.usuck.com - Updated, but still no real content!