kent listie gathering/VoL/Monk gig

hi.

oh, yeah!  last night was good!
first Listie Denice  (dream interpreter Denice.  Dream interpreter Denice
who has a dream she needs interpreting.  i think she should post it, don't
you?)  was the first to arrive.  I had scored us a table for 8,  as close to
up-front as i could.  there were some chairs in front of that, but not
tables.  and later,  one of the Yummy Chicks (!!)  sat in one of those
chairs.  (more on Yummy Chick later), so when we were all assembled, we were
all within note-passing distance to one another.
Denice brought a little entourage with her:  her husband Toby, their friend
John,  and (!!!)  their brand-new-adorable-as-anything baby girl Jaynie.
(remember, she sent you a link?)  so, three and  a half weeks  and she's
catching a Monk/VoL gig!  this girl's gonna rock!

Denice looks fantastic.  remember how good she looked the last time we saw
her at Brady's for the "Dug sings his heart out to the Yummy Song (Jack's
Valentine)" gig?   yeah, now take that and double it.  and she just had a
baby and looks this good!!  great to see them again.   and she shared her
chips and salsa with the rest of the class, too!    Chris'  Attractive
Listie theory holds up again.  (big surprise there, huh?)   i propose we
make it the Attractive Listie Law now, not a theory any longer.  anyway....

yes, Jessyka, i rubbed his hair too.  had to!  reminds me that i need
another haircut.  once it begins to "lay down" it's too long.    i don't
want it quite as short as Dan's, but maybe about the length Dan's will be
next week at this time will be good.  Also in Chris' group is Nate,  which i
assume is gonna be baby-photo-Nate, but it's not.

Dearly beloved wasn't feeling 100%, so she sat this one out.  so, for those
of you keeping score,  our table is now just about full.

Bonny apologizes for the long food delay, but explains that her regular help
is off studying for exams, and the people helping tonight are "regulars"
that have volunteered to help pitch in on a busy night.
 i forgot to ask how many people were there,  but it was pretty busy.  Not
like SRO,  as the last time OtR played there, but i think every seat on the
floor and both balconies was full.  100 people?  maybe a little more?   Most
of 'em came to see VoL  (big surprise, they're the headlining act) and they
cheered loudly for VoL,  but i'm ahead of myself.

Chris brought something in a little Cordura bag,  he may have an
announcement later.  or not.

I saw Alex, one of the Yummy Chicks that if you've been on this list for
awhile,  you'll recognize  (and there are always the archives if you're
curious or forgetful).  She was at the last OtR at Brady's show (she's at
nearly all NE Ohio shows, right up front, just like db and i get,  and
that's how we "met":  familiar faces showing up time-and -time-again.  we've
now gone from nodding in recognition to saying "hi"  to saying, "hi. how are
you. good to see you"  to last night having a real-live conversation and
note-passing session.  she has learned the story of how she became a Yummy
Chick,  and has met some of the listies,  who know her but she doesn't know
them.  the disadvantage has been eliminated.
Listie Amy in Romania:  remember you said i should write down on a card the
addy of linking to the list "because it's important"  if i should ever meet
a potential listie?  (like Daniella?, like Alex?,  like Nate?   slip them
the card?   damn it !  you were right!  a potential listie here and me
without that card!  luckily, Chris was there to bail me out of this jam  (i
love you, Chris) and i hope we'll soon see a message,
"hi, it's Alex.  you know me as a Yummy Chick.  now i'm here.  please make
me feel all warm and fuzzy"  or something like that.

this reminds me that despite several forwarded messages to Daniella, there
has been no such message,  and neither did i see her at last night's gig.
yes, i can be a scary man.  maybe i have scared her off,  and for that i
apologize.

Alex brought Kara (with a K.  same name as Money Order Chick. 'magine that!
i think some of you have met Money Order Chick) with her.  sat close-by us,
as i said.  just in front of us.  "hi, Kara"

It's gonna take another hour or so until we're all assembled, because Miss
Jen is doing some last-minute-hope-i-get-this-squeezed-in- recital listening
at KSU, and won't be there until later.

Is food here yet?!   well, maybe next hour!  (i love you, bonny!)

Monk tonight is just Ric.  there are no other "Monkees"  to steal a word
from Denice.  but Ric has brought his echoplex so he can be a "band"  and we
can have the fascination of watching him build up his sound, layer by layer.
At JCU a couple weeks ago,  i had scrawled "echoplex us"  on the part of my
tablecloth that hung down and faced Ric, but he didn't echoplex us that
evening much, if at all.  I was treated to lots-O-echoplexing tonight
however.  i love echoplexing!  it's so cool!  Toby and Denice and John said
that "if i like ~this~,  i will like Phil Keaggy", so now i have something
else to search for and scope out.   Thanks for the tip!

Risking being strung up and flogged (refer to earlier bondage scenarios
brought up and started by new listie DM) i must report that i do not have a
setlist of Monk's.   He started playing a song that i didn't recognize from
my Quiver album, but Denice recognized it 'cause i saw her singing along.
He also played Circle of Quiet and he played my request!!  (i love that
about him.  that's twice now!)  I requested Ring Out (ye crystal spheres)
and he did his very best to play it,  even though he had forgotten how  and
had to retune his guitar for the arrangement.
Oh, and his guitar!  (i know nothing)  but Toby the musician and husband of
Denice said that that's a custom made guitar and probably cost at least 4
grand!  wow!  that's a lotta jack!
Ric got a little pissed at the people who wouldn't shut up, and admonished
the noisy people to not spol the "listening music"  for the people who came
to hear it.  Yay, Ric!   (this is why we pass notes, isn't it?)

there were more songs and more yummy echoplexing,  until finally a string
snapped and he called it an evening.  chris and dan can probably fill you in
with his version of the evening all the details that i left out.

Who was it said that Bill Malonee is a heck-of-a nice-guy?  you sure are
right!   This was my second time to see VoL, and my first time to actually
talk to Bill  (i'll talk to anybody now, won't i?  no wonder Daniella ran
away!) and he's a sweetheart!   we talked about little stuff and i asked him
if he was selling __40 Watt__ and he said the band was all out.   Somebody
in NYC  dropped a Visa Card on the table and said, "T-shirt or CD for
everybody in the room.  their choice!"  and the price tag was $1,100.   so,
now they're out of __Live at the 40 Watt__ but bill said the nice people at
paste dot com will help get me one,  AND if i mail him the booklet, he'll
sign it and send it back to me!  how cool is that!?   (way cool.)
meanwhile, i got my two VoL discs signed.   (yay, me! thanks, Bill)

I had forgotten just how much we liked VoL  when we saw 'em first about 2
years ago.  my memory (crappy as it is to begin with) has been crowded and
overshadowed from dearly beloved's foot fetish concerning bassist Chris
Bland.  so,  primarily, i remember liking a band well enough to go pick up
some CD's,  and db going on and on about what sexy feet Chris has.
(one of the things i was talking to Bill about was Chris' bare feet,  and he
said that he nearly always plays barefoot,  but there were some club's beer
soaked floors that were too much even for Chris,  so he kept his shoes on
now and again.  but he played barefoot on stages where Bill wouldn't dream
of it!)
I'm sorry, am i rambling?  hit delete anytime,  move on the the next who
will sleep with Kyle message.  :-)

But this concert reminded me again that i REALLY, REALLY  like VoL, and they
rock!  and i did jot down a setlist.

as follows, but with barely any parenthetical asides, so it might be a
little dry.  sorry.

1.  goes without saying
2.  could be a whole lot worse
3. nothin' like a train.

the nice thing (hey, look, a parenthetical aside!)  about this band is that
they make it pretty easy to jot down setlist by introducing each song by
name!)

4.  blister soul
5. extreme north of the compass

(i wasn't keeping track of the time here,  but let;s pretend that it's
around 9:30 now,  so i begin looking near the door (her favourite spot, i
think)  for Miss Jen.  oh, look, there she is.  yay. so i make a little note
that tells her who's here,  and i make a combo bathroom run/note drop  and
before too long there's the softest tap imaginable on my shoulder (yes,  my
suspicions of Miss Jen being a godess are confirmed) with a note that says
"introduce me to Chris"  or something to that effect.  so i do, by way of
another passed note,  and now Miss Jen is sitting at our listie table.  sort
of at the head of the table,  between the head of the table and the Yummy
Chick in the "aisle" as it were.    more notes are passed...)

6. next song, i should know this because i'm so old,  is ~i think~ a byrds
cover.  the chorus goes,  "i was so much older then, i'm younger than that
now"  and it was jangly sounding,  so i'm gonna bet my nickel that it was
the Byrds.  binkybuddy chime in here:  this is your field, help me out of
this jam i'm in, please.

oh, i brought up bink just now.
bink, i invited listie denice to your brady's show.  i forgot the date but i
think it's July 19th?   post it again to the list and denice will see it.
and i'll forward it to  Yummy Chick Alex in the event she'd be interested.
i was also thinking that there is a pretty strong physical resemblance
between you and Bill Malonee.  i could see you up there in his place.
(although i've never seen you perform (yet!)

(alex, bink is a listie from Ft Wayne IN,  and he came all this way to catch
an Anne E gig  (and liked it, i have to add!)  and while he was here he
scored a gig with Brady's 'cause he gave bonny his cd and she liked it,  so
he's coming!  yay, bink!  and where are my promo's, bink?  aren't i gonna
need something to get a few people into brady's on this night?   just a
gentle nudge.  (love ya)  )

where the hell was i?   does it matter?  no one is reading this anymore
anyway.....

the 7th song isn't introduced, so Denice helps me out with thinking it's
called "Part of the Story"   (thx, D!)
8.  Bill introduces the song "to the roof of the sky" by telling us that
it;s based on his reading an account of the 1930's ascent of Mt. Everest to
his son,  and how the climber did it "because it was there"  and how he died
on the trip up.
9.  Anyside, Anywhere  (??)
10.  doin' time
11.  she walks on roses
12.  the glory of the dream
13.  but not for long
(at this point in the gig,  listie Dan kindly pulls a lock of Miss Jen's
hair from it's new home in Chris' teacup.  yes,  Chris notices,  but Jen is
unaware.  that was nice of you Dan.  you score points.  Maybe tannic acid is
good for hair,  who knows?)
14.  good luck charm
15.  guessing here:  "call the doctor"  (??)
16  guessing again.  (guess i shoulda run up and stole a setlist, huh?) this
time i say, "hotel song"  (??)  there's a line in the chorus that goes "can
you save my life?"  or at least i think so.   major VoL fans here feel free
to correct any errors i have made.  i won't mind.
17. (??)  no guess on the title of this one,  but Bill introduces it as a
song based on a hymn,   and he loves hymns.  a chorus line goes, "i wanna
show you my allegiance, lord)"   again, help is appreciated if you can help
with this title.
18.  you give it all your heart
19.  solar system.

i forget just where the encore was.  last two songs, probably.

bill played two guitars that i remember,  predominately a really thin-bodied
acoustic  (wasn't it an acoustic?  Toby, help out here.) and a black
electric.
the guitarist played guitar, mandolin, and pedal steel.   some of the
mandolin songs were killler!
oh, hell, what am i saying?  the concert was killer.  i was transported back
two years when i can remember liking them a whole bunch.  and i liked 'em a
whole bunch this time too.

After the show,  despite hopes to hang and party like it's 1999  (oh,
wait...) Nate was falling asleep at the table, and Miss Jen was getting
visited by Mr. Sandman  (isn't that a metallica song?  one of the few that i
like, i think),  and we did kill lots-O-time talking to Ric after the show
as clean up went on all around us,  time that i guess could have been spent
drinking atomic fireballs at Bellies Deli,  so there was no post-show party.
Naturally, Denice and Toby, with baby in tow,  wouldn't have been up for
smoky bar hopping,  so that's a given, but at least now they know that they
didn't miss anything!

VoL rocks hard and i had a good time.
Ric rocks, and i had a good time.
I actually had a protracted conversation or two  with Alex the Yummy Chick
and i had a good time.
I overcame my intimidation caused by the beauty of Miss Jen and said more
than just a few words to her this meeting,  and i had a good time.
I gazed at baby Jaynie and had a good time.
i spoke with Denice before the others arrived and i had a good time.

so, yeah, this evening was a good one.

hugs all around.
say bye

np:  Over The Rhine  __amature shortwave radio__ for the 3rd spin.   Terri,
i love you!  don't go!
Yummy Chick has also noticed, BTW, that Terri looked bored, as has been
posted on this list many times,  but.....go to track one.  Terri brings out
something or points out something in Karin's voice,  and the
harmony/background vox  just works so well.   i'm gonna miss Terri a lot.
Farewell, Terri.

 "i love you, Terri"

jg

denice, happy mother's day.
if applicable to you,  happy mother's day.