Re: surprise and disbelief

On Mon, 09 Nov 1998 19:15:16 GMT cemery at iwaynet_net (Chris Emery) writes:

>Warning, tender readers...high horse alert below.

DANGER WILL ROBINSON!!! you've done it now, man.

>>> what exactly is the point of this whole thing?
>>
>>I don't know.  I'll let you know when I finish reading it.

why does there *have* to be a point? i lik ethe scenic routes around
here.

>>> i just recently started getting it, and i'm practically disgusted.
>>
>>You should be more than "practically".
>
>;-)

well, there's always the "unsubscribe" option, assuming you're
intellegent enough to figure out how it works. yeah, Chis, you're right.
they must be smart enough to figure out how to subscribe, but not enough
to figure out how to reverse the process.  must be like Hotel California,
"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave." shit, i
just mentioned the Eagles.  get me off the list. ;{P}

>>> i guess i had the vain
>>> assumption that there would be intelligent discussion regarding the
>best
>>> band in the universe

you mean Starlight Express?

>>I didn't know this was a Sonic Youth list.oops you meant otr
>
>I *try* to talk about Yes every now and then, but...

hey Chris, try bringing up OtR on the Yes list, see what happens!

>>a) yesb) no
>>c) I'm not sure
>>I always vote "c" for anything pertaining to this list.

you forgot d) all the above.

>Hey, if the list was always about OTR all the time, then there would
>be about a total of 2 boring posts per day.

that many?

>I've noticed that a lot of the people who bring these types of whiny
>complaints to the list are people with no real experience on usenet or
>listservs.  Off topic discussion *does* happen on discussion lists,
>and it always will.   It's a place where people from different places
>and backgrounds who have one thing in common can come together and
>discuss things.

HEAR! HEAR!

>I'm sure there are many people who, like me, have been exposed to new
>music that they love that stemmed from some of the *off topic* threads
>here.   Personally, I was introduced to Cowboy Junkies, Sixpence None
>The Richer, Patti Smith, Rick Callender (bink!), Sunny Day Real
>Estate, Anne E DeChant, Jason Dennie, Peter Mulvey...the list goes on
>and on.

don't forget Marry Me Jane, Madder Rose, and Eve's Plumb!  and oh, what
about MONK?  i *never* would have hear about Monk without this list.  not
that Monk has *anyhting* to do with OtR.  yeah, you better get me off
this list.

>>>  i think we should direct this list to issues of real importance,
>like
>>> wishing to high heaven that rick would come back.
>>
>>That sounds about as wasteful of my time as anything else, why not?

>Who's Rick, anyway?  ;-)

you didn't know i once played for the band, Chris?

>>> anyway, my experience
>>> thus far with my fellow fans has been a mite distasteful, but i
>hope they
>>> can prove otherwise in the future.

try a grain of salt.  that always improves the taste.

>>They'll surprise you, that's for sure.

never.

>Ever met a listie?   I had a house full of 'em all weekend, and *man*
>was that an experience: a whole carton of eggs gone, and mysterious
>W.G. Grinders napkins by my bed.   (anyone care to explain *that*
>one?)

any LB involved?

>>But seriously, I hope you don't take offense to me poking some fun.

if you take offense to poking fun, yeah, i guess you will forever be
disappointed. can't teach teach an old hooker new tricks.

>And Ron brings up a valid point.  No matter *which* newsgroup or
>discussion list that you subscribe to, there's going to be people and
>threads that you personally don't care about.   Just do what I do.
>Get a good email client that does filtering well (like Forte Agent)
>and have all your OTR list dumped into a different folder.   From
>there, you can automatically filter out any threads or authors that
>you don't want to read.   It's that easy.

order now. ;{P}

>Ron, gonna come see Monk with us in Columbus on Wed. night?   It's
>only about an hour from ya, and I have a comfy couch if you need to
>crash.

and he'll cook a mean breakfast, too.

welcome to the list all you newbies.  the ride has just begun. keep your
arms and legs inside the car at all times and enjoy the ride....

man, i gotta, clean....

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]