Re: surprise and disbelief

Ron, have I told you lately that you RAWK?

Warning, tender readers...high horse alert below.

Ron Brickley <Ron.Brickley at sdrc_com> sez:
>feodor w von barnau sythoff wrote:
>> what exactly is the point of this whole thing?
>
>I don't know.  I'll let you know when I finish reading it.

And the messages just keep showing up.   It's like it never ends.  ;-)

>> i just recently started getting it, and i'm practically disgusted.
>
>You should be more than "practically".

;-)

>> i guess i had the vain
>> assumption that there would be intelligent discussion regarding the best
>> band in the universe
>
>I didn't know this was a Sonic Youth list.oops you meant otr

I *try* to talk about Yes every now and then, but...

>> , and issues that directly effect them.  somehow i
>> fail to see the connection of alanis morisette(she's a phony, annoying,
>> little wench, case closed)
>
>says you

I'll go with "annoying little wench," but I've never met her, so I'll
dodge the "phony" allegation.

>> and over the rhine.  likewise does tetris, gay
>> dolls, and sam philips have absolutely nothing to do with over the rhine.
>
>a) yesb) no
>c) I'm not sure
>I always vote "c" for anything pertaining to this list.

Hey, if the list was always about OTR all the time, then there would
be about a total of 2 boring posts per day.

I've noticed that a lot of the people who bring these types of whiny
complaints to the list are people with no real experience on usenet or
listservs.  Off topic discussion *does* happen on discussion lists,
and it always will.   It's a place where people from different places
and backgrounds who have one thing in common can come together and
discuss things.

I'm sure there are many people who, like me, have been exposed to new
music that they love that stemmed from some of the *off topic* threads
here.   Personally, I was introduced to Cowboy Junkies, Sixpence None
The Richer, Patti Smith, Rick Callender (bink!), Sunny Day Real
Estate, Anne E DeChant, Jason Dennie, Peter Mulvey...the list goes on
and on.

>>  i think we should direct this list to issues of real importance, like
>> wishing to high heaven that rick would come back.
>
>That sounds about as wasteful of my time as anything else, why not?

Who's Rick, anyway?  ;-)

>> anyway, my experience
>> thus far with my fellow fans has been a mite distasteful, but i hope they
>> can prove otherwise in the future.
>
>They'll surprise you, that's for sure.

Ever met a listie?   I had a house full of 'em all weekend, and *man*
was that an experience: a whole carton of eggs gone, and mysterious
W.G. Grinders napkins by my bed.   (anyone care to explain *that*
one?)

>But seriously, I hope you don't take offense to me poking some fun.
>I think there have been some pretty awful tangential issues explored
>recently but I think there's more of "them" than there are of "us" and
>I've been on this and other lists long enough to know that "delete" is the
>answer is most cases.

It's not and Us And Them scenario.  (obFloyd)   We're all "us."

And Ron brings up a valid point.  No matter *which* newsgroup or
discussion list that you subscribe to, there's going to be people and
threads that you personally don't care about.   Just do what I do.
Get a good email client that does filtering well (like Forte Agent)
and have all your OTR list dumped into a different folder.   From
there, you can automatically filter out any threads or authors that
you don't want to read.   It's that easy.

>But, on the other hand, there really isn't much going on with the band
>right now that hasn't been hashed and re-hashed for months on end, so I
>appreciate some of the levity.
>I would like some new otr news as well but there doesn't seem to be any, you
>might want to check back in a couple months or around the time of the Emery
>show when things will swing back into focus on the band.

I'll be working on my review from Saturday tonight.   Stay tuned.

>One more thing, Ric isn't coming back to otr and I'm pretty glad about it.
>Sure, I love the old sound better than anything back when otr was the "best
>band in the universe".  I love Ric's musical personality as much as anyone
>and I'm getting over my bitterness finally, but if you want more Ric--check out Monk.
>It's a better place for him.

Ron, gonna come see Monk with us in Columbus on Wed. night?   It's
only about an hour from ya, and I have a comfy couch if you need to
crash.
--
NP: Rick Callender - _Undone_
ICQ #: 1388556  ***    AIM: ChrisEmery