an open letter to mr. w von barnau sythoff

In a message dated 11/9/98 1:18:45 PM EST, sillyboys at juno_com writes:

> what exactly is the point of this whole thing?  i just recently started
>  getting it, and i'm practically disgusted.  i guess i had the vain
>  assumption that there would be intelligent discussion regarding the best
>  band in the universe, and issues that directly effect them.

if that's the sort of intelligent discussion you want, sometimes the best
thing to do is spark it up* yourself.

>  somehow i fail to see the connection of alanis morisette(she's a phony,
>  annoying, little wench, case closed) and over the rhine.  likewise does
tetris, gay
>  dolls, and sam philips have absolutely nothing to do with over the rhine.

they're all topics that one or more members of this community of people who
appreciate over the rhine find worthy of mention. i find the concept of this
sexual tetris thing quite fascinating, and sam/leslie rocks my socks.

there's a saying that goes something like this: sometimes you have to eat
through the shit to get to the ice cream. i don't remember the rest of it, but
i think it might apply here.

>   i think we should direct this list to issues of real importance, like
>  wishing to high heaven that rick would come back.

nitpick: ric. and i certainly wouldn't hold your breath, love. but it's fun to
speculate, itsn't it?

> anyway, my experience thus far with my fellow fans has been a mite
distasteful,  > but i hope they can prove otherwise in the future.

as i hope you can hold your nose until you get to the ice cream.

> 0-p98(my cat just walked across the keyboard)

let me know if she ever types anything prophetic.

don't give up on the list, i have a feeling you could contribute a bunch. says
my prophetic hedgehog.

love,
sha

*spark up the CONVERSASION. geez, what did you think i was talking about?