Re: Karin's Hot! (was Re: My view....)

Chris Emery wrote:

> Zena Neds-Fox <znedsfox at moody_edu> waited lifetimes, said this to you:
> >I was  trying to explain my view of the music, not lay down some law.  I was
> >saved when I was 18, the 18 years prior to that event were completely
> >submerged in all the hip, delicious, dangerous, drug-induced times that
> >could be fit into those 18 years.
>
> You make it sound like a *bad* thing.   ;-P

;)>

> >So finding Over the Rhine as a christian
> >who wasn't raised to be a Conservative Republican, or even a Sunday School
> >Teacher, was a blessing to my life.
>
> Wanna know something funny?   I was raised to be both.   Check me out
> now.
>
> LOOK MA, NO HANDS!

Well, I've never been conservative, nor Republican, but I do help teach Sunday school and lead a small group chock
full o' high school students. And both they and I are turning out okay. So far anyway... :)>

> >Most to all "Christian Bands" make me cringe.  They sound so souless and over produced that I think Jesus might
> >have a hard time listening to them.
>
> There's a funny thread right now in alt.music.yes about Carman.
> Apparently, Steve Sullivan, a 37 year old long-term proghead and
> outspoken atheist, happened to catch one of Carman's "performance
> video things" on the tube, and was quite perplexed.

I used to read and post to rec.music.christian pretty extensively, and the Carman debate over there is as fierce as

anywhere. I personally think he's a complete potzer. But whatever flips someone's pancake, you know?

> Sorry, I realize that had absolutely nothing to do with anything.
> You just reminded me of it, and now my coworkers are wondering what
> I'm snickering about over here in my corner.

I'm snickering with you in spirit, Chris...

> Not all christian music that's labeled as such is as bad as the other
> 90%.   ;-)   I'll take an old Petra record, or MWS _The Big Picture_
> (featuring Tony Levin on bass/stick - woohoo!) anyday.

Well, as long as it's an _old_ Petra record. Back when there were members of Petra in Petra. And I personally like
_I 2 (eye)_ better than _The Big Picture_. But they're both pretty okay in their own rights... Heck, there's a lot
of really good Christian music. Unfortunately, about 1% has been heard by more than 100 people. The Choir's _Circle

Slide_ CD, Daniel Amos's _Motor Cycle_, The Prayer Chain's _Mercury_, Buddy and Julie Miller's stuff, Caedmon's
Call, Sixpence, and the list goes on...

> >So hearing that music coming from
> >background, I felt like I really did not fit in with the christian circle.
> >Then I stumbled onto Over the Rhine and heard real christians, singing about
> >real issues they face as they live for the lord.  I was completely taken
> >with them and have been ever since.  Sometimes they are the only music I can
> >completely relate to.
>
> Interestingly enough, I had never even heard of (nor had it occurred
> to me) any religious connection with OTR and their music until Snoop
> Dug ruffled some chica's feathers last summer when she said she was
> "on fire for god" or some such.   Good ol' Duggy made the obvious
> "stop, drop and roll" joke, and list life was a whirlwind of
> excitement for a while.
>
> Were any other old-school types surprised in a similar manner?

I'm not old school (well, not on the list, anyway), but I picked up on some of the Christian stuff the first time
through _Patience_. But I knew C.S. Lewis's story before I heard "Jacksie", heard the "There is no shadow of
turning with you" from "Great is Thy Faithfulness" in "Circle of Quiet," and knew that they'd played Cornerstone.

> >That's my side of the story and I hope to talk more
> >about it with you all, and I hope that you will tell me your relationship to
> >them, is it more than "Karin's hot!" ?  I hope so.  I'm willing and able and
> >excited to hear other views. Thanks ~ Zena
>
> Karin's hot, Terri is *yummy*, and I LOVE YOU, MIKE!

Just saw 'em on Sunday. And I agree fully with Chris. Even though I don't really love Mike. I feel warmly toward
Mike...

> It saddens me that Mikey is gone.   Now I don't have anything to shout
> at the shows.  :-(

Not shouting can be a good thing, too.

> I discovered OTR when my college roomie (a Cincy native) dragged me to
> see them in '93 (Eve tour) at the Newport in Columbus, OH.  I was
> instantly captivated by this bizarre conglomeration of people who were
> up there making the most beautiful music.  Tall, lanky guy in a
> strange suit and goofy hat playing the bass; short, scrawny guy on
> drums singing those high backing vox; stocky guy with a battered old
> black Fender Strat on an oriental rug, and a beautiful woman with a
> beautiful voice and an equally beautiful Rickenbacker singing.   I'll
> let the reader decide which made the bigger impression - the bare
> midriff or the Rick.   ;-)
>
> Their versatility impressed me; one moment I'm on a swing with Paul &
> Virginia, the next I'm being amazed at the clever insertion of 'Funk
> #49' into the end of 'Daddy Untwisted'.
>
> I bought Eve that week (back when it was on the shelves everywhere -
> where did all those copies go?), and the rest, as they say, is
> history.

Yup. I had seen ads in the Christian mags for _Patience_ when it first came out (which was another hint to me...
:)> ), and had read a really positive review (probably in True Tunes News, back when it existed). So I took a
chance on a band i'd never heard and picked it up. And "Jacksie" and "I've Been Slipping" absolutely hooked me from

the first listen. And I also got _Eve_ when it was still readily available on shelves, and was disappointed at
first. But it's grown on me.

> --NP: Beastie Boys - _Hello Nasty_

Awwww yeah. Beasties rule...

np: Elliott Smith - _XO_

Peace, hope, love, Jesus Christ - Layner
...it meant the world to hold a bruising faith,
but now it's just a matter of grace...           - Smashing Pumpkins