[Fwd: gosh, lots of mail!]

Peace, hope, love, Jesus Christ - Layner
...it meant the world to hold a bruising faith,
but now it's just a matter of grace...           - Smashing Pumpkins

-- BEGIN included message

Binky!

bin meister wrote:

> wow. it's been a while since i've had to actually *read* the mail...
>
> you'd think that's all i had time for these days....
>
> all this mortar fire has been quite interesting to read these past
> days... as for the "did you know OtR" thing, the band was introduced to
> me as being a "band of musicians who happened to be christians" but not
> as a "christian band."

Yup. I was introduced to The Innocence Mission, Van Morrison, Bruce
Cockburn, VoL, and more this way as well.

> it was "Grey Monologue" which really hooked me
> the first time round and then several years later "Jack's Valentine"
> which nailed the picture to the wall quite firmly for me as an excellent
> BAND.  what impressed me the most (and still does) is that, in my
> opinion, here is lyrical poetry, and i mean poetry, put so perfectly to
> music.  call me a beatnik.

Beatnik.

> ( i hear ya, "ms." emery)

And quit calling me that... ;)>

> the "ambiguity" of
> most of the lyrics also appealed to me, because i like music which can
> hold as many different meanings as there are listeners to glean meaning
> from it.  such writing is highly intellegent and honest and a rare gift
> to find these days... ( as a lyricist, i strive for similar effect, hence
> detwieler and mallonee have become lyrical heroes.)  i will admit the
> spiritual or "christian" overtones are an added plus for me, but if OtR
> was, for lack of a better term, a "totally secular band", i would think
> absolutely no less of them than i do now.

Me either. The spiritual end of it is an added bonus for me.

> ...and for all those who keep saying that Karin is hot, well, why doesn't
> she get an air conditioner then?

<Bugs Bunny>Har har... hardy har har...
</Bugs Bunny>

> (besides, everyone knows that Anne DeChant is the hot one, right jg? LOL)

Oh yeah?

> bink

np: Roseanne Cash - _10 Song Demo_

Peace, hope, love, Jesus Christ - Layner
...it meant the world to hold a bruising faith,
but now it's just a matter of grace...           - Smashing Pumpkins

-- END included message