Re: Opinions, references, and quotes (more of the same ol' me)

DustyVolume wrote:

> I seem to be slowly evolving into a lurker on this list.

I kinda seem to be as well. With no pressing freelance, my computer here at
home is just as likely to stay off as it is to be turned on. So here goes
responding to three days of the list...

> The more I
> continue to read everyone's threads the more I tend to think that
> someone, eventually will say what I would have said anyway.  I have been
> waiting this "lift up christ" debate out, but seem somehow compelled to
> throw in a few words of my own.

I always seem to feel best when I don't get too vocal about this stuff,
either. Yeah, I may put my faith in Jesus with all my heart, soul, mind,
etc. But I also know that there are those who don't on this list. And it
certainly seems that we Christians are a pretty insenstive lot most of the
time when it comes to stuff like this. I've been in countless 'net debates
about the stuff of Christianity, and they never work to change people's
minds. They only seem to anger and frustrate.

> [George Michael stuff deleted for space's sake]

> This type of emotive ambiguity isn't too far removed from Linford's
> pen.  I for one (being a christian) can see christian images in Linfords
> lyrics--also being a human being I can see lots of other images too:  I
> see religious possibilities in _Someday_, _Cast me Away_, Gentle
> Wounds_, If I'm Drowning_, and Paul and Virginia_ and that's just off
> the first album (and going from memory).

I would have added "Ubiquitous Hands" to that list. The most spiritual of
the lot (except for maybe "Gentle Wounds") from the first CD, imo.

> And then there's GDBD
> (thr) which is just as diverse for me.  I hear religion, sex, love,
> hope, melancholy, remorse and epiphany.

Which is precisely why I like it. Well, that and the music is pretty
stinking amazing.

> All in all the songs of OtR (to
> me) are not primarily christian.

Actually, in speaking of GDBD (which you probably weren't specifically
anymore when you wrote that sentence), I find only "All I Need..." and "A
Gospel Number" specifically about Christianity. And probably "Happy to Be
So," now that I think about it. Once again, that's imo.

> I see Linford as trying to touch upon
> something more powerful than he is--something that stirs the soul--the
> human condition if you will.  I see him as a great writer--one that is a
> product of his environment.  Linford is not as opaque as I once believed
> him to be.  He writes from his heart, and he writes to fullfil a
> purpose.  That purpose is to make great music.  If it just so happens to
> be tinged with christian faith, or latent sexual desires so be it.  I
> wouldn't have it any other way.

No crap. Couldn't have said it better myself. I just totally feel that,
yes, the Christian faith is important to me. Probably the most important
thing. But it's not the _only_ important thing. And that's why their music
has struck such a nerve in me. For instance, when I hear GDBD, I think of L
& K coming together to be married. It makes me think of a couple growing in
their relationship and "coming together" physically, spiritually, and
emotionally. And it makes me excited for when that time of my life will
happen (should it ever).

> "When an Over The Rhine song works, it generally means different things
> to different people.  (We've learned a lot about our songs from our
> listeners.)"---OTR
>
> and doesn't this say it all?

Purty much.

np: Elliott Smith - _XO_

Peace, hope, love, Jesus Christ - Layner
...it meant the world to hold a bruising faith,
but now it's just a matter of grace...           - Smashing Pumpkins