Opinions, references, and quotes (more of the same ol' me)

I seem to be slowly evolving into a lurker on this list.  The more I
continue to read everyone's threads the more I tend to think that
someone, eventually will say what I would have said anyway.  I have been
waiting this "lift up christ" debate out, but seem somehow compelled to
throw in a few words of my own.

I don't know why now, but this new tide of christian vs secular lyrics
reminded me of a quote I heard on the radio around the turn of the
decade.  It was George Michael and he was talking about his new
single--I believe it was _Praying for Time_.  He said one of the things
that made this song so popular was the way he paid close attention to
the words when he wrote it.  He said he wanted a song that was both
powerful and ambigous--one that would appeal to numerous people and be
open to diverse interpretation.

This type of emotive ambiguity isn't too far removed from Linford's
pen.  I for one (being a christian) can see christian images in Linfords
lyrics--also being a human being I can see lots of other images too:  I
see religious possibilities in _Someday_, _Cast me Away_, Gentle
Wounds_, If I'm Drowning_, and Paul and Virginia_ and that's just off
the first album (and going from memory).  I also see love songs, _P&V_,
_Should_, _Guilty_, _Rhapsodie_, Grey Monologue_, _June_, _Falling
(DoaT)_.  I think of abortion when I hear _Sleep Baby Jane_.  I feel
embittered anger laced with confusion and pain followed with a yearning
for acceptance when I hear _Daddy Untwisted_.  And then there's GDBD
(thr) which is just as diverse for me.  I hear religion, sex, love,
hope, melancholy, remorse and epiphany.  All in all the songs of OtR (to
me) are not primarily christian.  I see Linford as trying to touch upon
something more powerful than he is--something that stirs the soul--the
human condition if you will.  I see him as a great writer--one that is a
product of his environment.  Linford is not as opaque as I once believed
him to be.  He writes from his heart, and he writes to fullfil a
purpose.  That purpose is to make great music.  If it just so happens to
be tinged with christian faith, or latent sexual desires so be it.  I
wouldn't have it any other way.

Let's not jump to anymore conclusions.  Just because someone states that
they see a certain image in a song doesn't mean that's the only image
they see.  When people descirbe something that's emotionally close they
don't always couch it with a disclaimer.  We mention what is powerful to
us and why--not what's powerful and why someone else may see something
different.  Believe me there's plenty of room in these songs for optimal
interpretation by all.

"When an Over The Rhine song works, it generally means different things
to different people.  (We've learned a lot about our songs from our
listeners.)"---OTR

and doesn't this say it all?