Karin's Hot! (was Re: My view....)

Zena Neds-Fox <znedsfox at moody_edu> waited lifetimes, said this to you:
>I was  trying to explain my view of the music, not lay down some law.  I was
>saved when I was 18, the 18 years prior to that event were completely
>submerged in all the hip, delicious, dangerous, drug-induced times that
>could be fit into those 18 years.

You make it sound like a *bad* thing.   ;-P

>So finding Over the Rhine as a christian
>who wasn't raised to be a Conservative Republican, or even a Sunday School
>Teacher, was a blessing to my life.

Wanna know something funny?   I was raised to be both.   Check me out
now.

LOOK MA, NO HANDS!

>Most to all "Christian Bands" make me cringe.  They sound so souless and over produced that I think Jesus might
>have a hard time listening to them.

There's a funny thread right now in alt.music.yes about Carman.
Apparently, Steve Sullivan, a 37 year old long-term proghead and
outspoken atheist, happened to catch one of Carman's "performance
video things" on the tube, and was quite perplexed.

Sorry, I realize that had absolutely nothing to do with anything.
You just reminded me of it, and now my coworkers are wondering what
I'm snickering about over here in my corner.

Not all christian music that's labeled as such is as bad as the other
90%.   ;-)   I'll take an old Petra record, or MWS _The Big Picture_
(featuring Tony Levin on bass/stick - woohoo!) anyday.

>So hearing that music coming from
>background, I felt like I really did not fit in with the christian circle.
>Then I stumbled onto Over the Rhine and heard real christians, singing about
>real issues they face as they live for the lord.  I was completely taken
>with them and have been ever since.  Sometimes they are the only music I can
>completely relate to.

Interestingly enough, I had never even heard of (nor had it occurred
to me) any religious connection with OTR and their music until Snoop
Dug ruffled some chica's feathers last summer when she said she was
"on fire for god" or some such.   Good ol' Duggy made the obvious
"stop, drop and roll" joke, and list life was a whirlwind of
excitement for a while.

Were any other old-school types surprised in a similar manner?

>That's my side of the story and I hope to talk more
>about it with you all, and I hope that you will tell me your relationship to
>them, is it more than "Karin's hot!" ?  I hope so.  I'm willing and able and
>excited to hear other views. Thanks ~ Zena

Karin's hot, Terri is *yummy*, and I LOVE YOU, MIKE!

It saddens me that Mikey is gone.   Now I don't have anything to shout
at the shows.  :-(

I discovered OTR when my college roomie (a Cincy native) dragged me to
see them in '93 (Eve tour) at the Newport in Columbus, OH.  I was
instantly captivated by this bizarre conglomeration of people who were
up there making the most beautiful music.  Tall, lanky guy in a
strange suit and goofy hat playing the bass; short, scrawny guy on
drums singing those high backing vox; stocky guy with a battered old
black Fender Strat on an oriental rug, and a beautiful woman with a
beautiful voice and an equally beautiful Rickenbacker singing.   I'll
let the reader decide which made the bigger impression - the bare
midriff or the Rick.   ;-)

Their versatility impressed me; one moment I'm on a swing with Paul &
Virginia, the next I'm being amazed at the clever insertion of 'Funk
#49' into the end of 'Daddy Untwisted'.

I bought Eve that week (back when it was on the shelves everywhere -
where did all those copies go?), and the rest, as they say, is
history.

--NP: Beastie Boys - _Hello Nasty_
ICQ #: 1388556  ***    AIM: ChrisEmery
Autonomy is dificult, autopsy is better, autoeroticism is best.

Follow-Ups: References: