Re: Help with OHIO lyrics

On Sun, 2003-09-07 at 19:51, Trudy wrote:
> OK, Guys...
> I'm writing this in plain text / no graphics...(please be patient with
> me...I'm trying to get the hang of bein' a listee)

Actually, it's more about being on a mailnig list than being an OtR
listee... it just so happens that a greater percentage of techie people
seem to appreciate OtR. ;)

Basically, the "rules" you might see that come up from time to time
aren't really "rules" so much as guidelines that have evolved over the
last 20 years or so to help conversation on email and newsgroups be as
clear as possible.  When you read a decently high-volume list like OtR,
it doesn't take long to realize that things can be pretty confusing.
And as you get more familiar, you see what works better and what
doesn't.

So you'd think that, over time, everybody would just naturally gravitate
toward the best way, right?  Not quite.  You see, the Internet is a
vastly beautiful and varied creature - not everyone uses the same
program to read email as everyone else (heck, some of us don't even use
the same operating system!).  So it helps if everyone conforms to some
sort of standard that makes things easy for everybody.

For example, you see how I posted your comment above, and then replied
below?  This is because not everybody has a system in which the email
that I'm replying to would be easily accessible.  They'd look at my
email and wonder - what the heck am I rambling about, and why?  I also
did not include the part of your message I'm not replying too - this is
because not everybody is on high-speed connections, and some even have
limits on their account, so wasted space is annoying (and I've already
used up quite a bit!).

As far as the graphics go, would you believe that not everyone can see
'em?  Some people use text based email, in which case your graphics can
end up looking a little like this:

color=3Dbl=
ack
face=3D"Tempus Sans ITC"><span
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Tempu=
s Sans ITC";
color:black;font-weight:bold'><span style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;
</spa=
n>It
says Karin is performing solo&#8230;this I gather means she will
accompany
herself on guitar or piano&#8230;.Sounds
excellent.<o:p></o:p></span></font=
></b></p>

Only a lot more so.  Like 1000s of lines worth.

One last thing - you'll probably be able to identify the anal-retentive
techies after too long (rhys, me, and many others).  The good thing is,
we're all really approachable, so if you have any questions at all, you
can email us (off-list) and we'll be glad to help you out.

And now, back to reconfiguring my Gentoo system.

Troy, who wants to post an OHIO review but seems to keep putting it
off...