Help with OHIO lyrics

OK, Guys...
I'm writing this in plain text / no graphics...(please be patient with
me...I'm trying to get the hang of bein' a listee)
I have ,like you all, been listening a lot to OHIO.
I have a question about the lyrics from the song 'Ohio'.
In this stanza:

When the sun went down we would all leave town
And light our fires in Egypt Bottom
And the reservoir was just as good for Joni
'Cause we knew we would
Dream outloud in the night air

Holly said, Don't go inside the children's home
Mary said, Don't leave your man alone
Valerie was singin' to the radio
Ohio

Does anyone know what Karin means by the reservoir being just as good
for Joni.....etc
And not going inside the children's home etc...?
I might assume these girls were Karin's friends growing up....I just
can't figure out the meaning...
Anyone have inside information or thoughts about this?

 Trudes