TV or not TV

John wrote:

>>I used to limit my tv watching to only the new episodes of the The
>>Simpsons. Now, being a homeowner and with my wife preggers, I don't >>have
time for *any* tv. It feels great.

I am curious to know why there seems to be an anti-tv movement not just here
on the list, but in general.  TV is fun.  I work hard (ok...I work), I study
and read and when my brain can't take anymore I turn on the TV.
Sportscenter, Sitcoms, etc...  Brain Candy? Maybe.  But, I don't think that
not watching TV is the sign of a higher level of "being" as I have heard
others espouse (I also want to say that I am not pointing this at anyone in
particular and I'm just using John's e-mail as a launching board for my
question).  Why is TV watching such a bad thing?  Is it worse/better than
surfing the net?  Hanging out at a bar?

out here,
Barry