Re: TV or not TV

Lawlor, Barry wrote:
> John wrote:

> I am curious to know why there seems to be an anti-tv movement not just here
> on the list, but in general.  TV is fun.

Isn't that a mater of opinion? TV is *not* fun for me. Besides which my
point was that I'm so busy having a life that I don't have *time* for
TV, not that TV is evil. I do think TV is unhealthy, especially if not
taken in moderation.

 > Why is TV watching such a bad thing?

Well, TV *does* have negative psychological and social effects, but it's
less because of the medium and more because of the message(s). From a
business standpoint, TV is not about making good art, or even good
entertainment, it's about selling ads. Advertisers are TV companies'
actual customers. The average American buys nothing from them, and
therefore the folks who call the shots as far as what gets aired are
advertisers. From their POV, the best TV is TV that makes people want to
buy more of whatever they're selling.
People who are satisfied, content, and at peace, buy less stuff. So TV
makes its own living by airing shows that keep you from being at peace.
Someone who doesn't give a damn if they're sexy won't buy products
designed to make them look sexy. People who are satisfied with thier
current car won't buy a new one.
Further, people who see connections between their actions and world
events (take driving a gas-guzzling vehicle and dependance on
Middle-Eastern oil for instance) often change their habits (someone
decides to buy fuel-eifficent cars or drive less to help keep us out of
wars with the Middle East). Such people are difficult to market to
because they are unpredictible in comparison with the majority. So, TV
makes its own money by suppressing news items that might cause people to
change their beahvior. Instead, they offer as little news as possible
and fill time with infotainment and false alarms and sensationalism.

The social effects are more subtle.

> Is it worse/better than Hanging out at a bar?

I think it's worse, and I don't drink alcohol. In a bar, you have to
interact with other people. You might make a friend. You stand a good
chance of being involved in a conflict or complication which doesn't
resolve itself neatly in a half hour. I'd much rather hang out in a
coffee shop than watch t.v. The women are prettier in a coffe shop, for
one thing.

But again, this has less to do with the machine "television" than it
does with the programming.

- John

--
John Paul Davis