RE: Top 10 favorite songs (20% OtR content)

Sarah wrote:
> Yesterday I asked myself the question "If I could choose 10 songs as my
> all-time favorites, what would they be?" (Too much time on my hands
> perhaps??)

I've been waiting for someone to pose this question for some time now.  (Why
didn't I, you ask?  Well, I don't know...)  I worked on a similar list
myself for several months, for no real reason.  My whole list is actually
Top 30, and I've put it on a two-CD set so that I can listen to any or all
of them in my car whenever I want.   My criteria were not as strict as
Sarah's; I simply chose what I liked the most.  I like some of these songs
for no tangible reason, but each one of them grabs me in one way or another.
Here's my top 10, counted down.

10.  ”The Show Goes On,” Bruce Hornsby & The Range
	from the album "Scenes From The Southside" (1988)
This song instantly transports me to 10th grade; it's not attached to any
certain memory, but it's etched in my general memory of that era in my life.
"Scenes" was one of the first albums I ever bought on CD, partially b/c of
this song.

9.  ”Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End,” The Beatles
	from the album "Abbey Road" (1969)
This suite or medley--whatever you want to call it--encapsulates the
Beatles' gifts for melody, harmony, arrangement, and orchestration in one
five-minute span.  "Golden Slumbers" and "Carry That Weight" contain perhaps
the most poignant melodies I've ever heard.  "Abbey Road" is my favorite
Beatles album, by the way.

8.  ”And Can It Be,” Over The Rhine
	from the album "‘Til We Have Faces" (1991)
I've always liked this song, since it was one of the first OtR songs I ever
heard, but what put it on my Top 10 was the live version from the Taft 2000
show.  When I first heard that version (wasn't it an mp3 of the month?), I
was hooked on it all over again.

7.  ”Angels,” Susan Ashton, Margaret Becker, & Christine Dente’
	from the album "Along The Road" (1994)
I'm drawn to this song mainly b/c of Christine Dente's amazing vocal
performance, but also for just the general sound of the song and for one of
my favorite lines:  "If not for love/Where would we be?"

6.  ”All I Want,” Toad The Wet Sprocket
	from the album "Fear" (1991)
Here's one of those songs that hooks me for an intangible reason; I don't
know why, but I can't listen to it just once or twice.

5.  ”Lead Me On,” Amy Grant
	from the album "Lead Me On" (1988)
This song came around back when I had a mad crush on Amy.  It's from what is
arguably her best album, and it's the best song on the record.  Again, it
takes me back easily to probably my favorite part of my teenage years.

4.  ”More Than A Heart Can Hold,” Maria McKee
	from the album "Maria McKee" (1989)
Let me just say that, come hell or high water, this song will be played at
my wedding!  Maria just tears me up on this one.  Not many people this side
of heaven can sing with as much soul as she does here.

3.  ”Ride The Wind To Me,” Julie Miller
	from the album "Broken Things" (1999)
Here's another song I listen to over and over every time I put the CD in.
In addition to an encouraging lyric, this is probably one of the catchiest,
most singable songs I've ever heard; Buddy's harmony is great, too.

2.  ”Into The Mystic,” Van Morrison
	from the album "Moondance" (1970)
The first time I heard this song was a couple of years ago in a store in
Athens that is known for playing great oldies, some of them more obscure.
When I heard the song, I stopped cold in my tracks and just listened.  I got
my hands on a copy of the record as soon as I could.  Again, I can't put a
finger on what hooks me, but I will say it is one of the most peaceful songs
I know--it's gotten me through many traffic jams!

1.  ”Moth,” Over The Rhine
	from the albums "Amateur Shortwave Radio" (1999) and "Films For Radio"
(2001)
I didn't just put this one here b/c I'm writing to the OtR list; it
legitimately is my favorite.  I've talked many times here and offlist about
why I like it, but mainly it's just a catchy, enjoyable song to me.  I
listen to it over and over and over every time...I actually looped it for
about two hours on a long trip once.

That's it.  I don't expect anyone to understand (or necessarily agree with)
any of my choices, but I felt compelled to jump into this thread...

Chris

"Her vocabulary was as bad as, like, whatever." -- Author Unknown