Re: a question of meaning

Black Draver wrote:

> Yep. replying to my own message...

those are always the best, aren't they?

> So when she/he says:
> "Isaac's Knife can cut away
> all the poisoned yesterdays."    It means taking faith (trust if you will)
> that is so big as to allow someone to kill you and using that same principle
> to get rid of all the guilt and regret that holds you back.

So you're reading the lyric to be directed towards Isaac... hmmmm...
interesting thought. I'd assumed it was directed towards Abraham, since
when people usually mention the story, they bring up how Isaac was
Jehovah's promised son, for whom Abe had waited 25 years, and that
Jehovah's request for Abe to sacrifice him was really just a big lesson
to teach Abe not to hold on to things too tightly, a lesson old Abe
needed to learn, if you conisder what a schmuck he was to Ishmael and
Hagar.
So I was reading it in a more, er, Budhist sense, I guess- the idea of
non-attachment. Or, to quote a diferent band (u2) : "you can hold on to
something so tight/you're already lost it."

   In
> this sense, Isaac's knife is a powerful tool and it *does* become his. I mean
> after all, if I'm going to allow someone to kill me, then that weapon in a
> sense becomes mine--I give the power to use it.

Nicely put.

> Then the song continues:
> "and the anger
> ease it down
> into the ocean
> let it drown"   Another Christian reference to washing away your sins?

I don't know if it's a sin reference or not. I do think it could apply
to any of the part sof the self that one doesn't want there anymore. The
  lyric focuses on anger, but I could see how "the poison of yesterday"
could be anything- that bit of the self that just *needs* to die, to be
chiseled away.

The lyric reminds me of a Pearl Jam lyric:
  "let the...ocean...dissolve away my mask...three days...maybe
longer... shed my skin at last" (from "Last Exit")

The whole concept kind of reminds me of what Thomas Merton called "the
false self," an idea he picked up when he was a Marxist, before he
became a monk. (In Marxism, the false self is that self which is
constructed for you by forces outside yourself (with your capitulation,
of course)- for Engels (I know, I know, if Engels came up with it, why
is Marxism?) the false self was the self that thought it could become
better through acquisition, for e.g.)
For Merton, the false self was anything that you allowed to overshadow
your "real" self. Your real self, for Merton was you as created by God,
the you that really wants to do good things, the you that isn't obsessed
with what others think. Merton stressed the putting away of the false
self quite a bit in his book "New Seeds of Contemplation."

> then:
> "as far as east is
> from the west
> I let you go
> I know it's best"

>is yet another Christian principle that offers a human
> perspective on the forgiveness of Christ.

I'm going to be picky and object here: b/c it's from Psalm 103, I
personally don't consider the reference to be about Christ, but about
Jehovah...
It's funny: I love the beautiful stuff in that Psalm about God being
forgiving and loving and being the champion of the oppressed, but I have
a hard time getting over the way the Psalm practically beats you over
the head with its constant references to the fact that this only counts
for Jews. I know that it's just because the Jews back then were, like
everyone else, worshipping a largely tribal god, and that Jehovah
wouldn't be understood as a god for everyone until after the Babylonian
captivity, but still, it makes the Psalm hard to read, me not being a
Jew and all...

> "There's no saviour hanging on this
> cross"  in no certain terms is saying stop trying to make yourself a martyr.

Wow. That's an interesting interpretation. I always read that lyric as
saying the opposite- expressing the doubt OtR often expresses w/r/t
faith stuff- i.e., just as the characters in "Happy to Be So" and "I
Radio Heaven" get no response to thier prayers, so the character in this
song can't see the savior on the cross, but, like Kierkegaard, they have
faith anyway. It kind of fits, after all with the whole Kierkegaardian
theme of Abraham trusting God when ofing poor Isaac. I see where you get
what you got out of it, though I'm not sure it's a leap I'd make. But,
fo course, maybe that'e the crux of the diference right there- I tend to
feel like that doubting-but-faithful character in OtR songs pretty often.

> Tom Waits put it
> rather succinctly with "come down off the cross, we can use the wood."

Which reminds me: every time I read your email address, I hear "The
Black Rider" in my head.

Ahhhh, must get some work done.

-John

--
"The market is the reason our housing is so expensive. It is the reason