Re: Re: cs lewis

On 6/21/01 12:59 AM, quoth the brilliant petert at interchange_ubc.ca at
petert at interchange_ubc.ca:

>> I think it is immoral to alter the work of ANY artist without their
>> consent.
>
>No one is *altering* Lewis's work -- only adding to it.

Peter, I think adding to something does indeed qualify as altering it. If
I add gores to a gown or panels to a corset, I've altered it. It's not in
its original form anymore.

As for revisionist histories, pardon my language, but if I have kids in
school, they'd fucking well better be taught as secular a history as
possible. I feel absolutely passionate about this: while all history is
almost unavoidably biased, it should be taught with that bias
acknowledged and, as much as possible, mitigated. I'm sure the
Conquistadors and missionaries thought they were doing glorious work, but
they slaughtered millions of Native Americans just the same. Spain
thought they were doing G-d's work in the 15th century, but as the jews
and you'll get a very different idea.

A history class is not a place to embrace bias. It's somewhere to put
things in context and try to understand the whole picture.

And yes, I did go to a religious school. Not one of my own religion,
either.