Cowboy Junkies in concert review

I'd like to present Karen's comments below without commentary, except to
thank her for them and ask her if they were selling the new live CD
"Waltzing across America", autographed or not:

(Additional comments at bottom)

>From: "Bailey, Karen" <Karen.Bailey at mwra_state.ma.us>
>To: 'Matthew Mesina' <soberman_69 at hotmail_com>
>Subject: RE: MapQuest: Pittsburgh - Entertainment - Hartwood Acres
>Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 10:59:16 -0400
>
>Matt, I don't know if the Junkies show in Pittsburgh has come and gone, but
>if you get a chance, DO catch one of these shows.  The Junkies were
>fabulous-opening with Draggin Hooks, lot of Michael Timmins spine tingling
>guitar intro-lots of "bring-outs" from Lay it Down, Pale Sun/Crescent Moon,
>The Caution Horses, etc.  I've seen many Junkies shows, but this was like a
>showcase.  Margo and the rest of the band are all at their peak; so much
>confidence, so much emotion, so in tune with each other.  Michael actually
>looked up a few times at the audience.  Jeff Bird must be from another
>galaxy.  I can't believe what he does with the mandolin.  Other songs
>performed: Come Calling; On the Sill (from Pale Sun; not sure about the
>title); Bread and Wine; Open; the trailer park song (can't remember the
>title); River Winds...lots more but I can't read my writing because I was
>keeping a list in the dark.  Songs I wish they had played:  Blue Guitar;
>Bea's Song; Sun Comes Up, Tuesday Morning...
>
>If you're wondering about the opening act, the Boston show had Sarah
>Harmer,
>from Ontario (I think).  She was excellent, reminding me of the more
>acoustic Patty Griffin songs on Living With Ghosts.  We picked up both of
>Sarah's cds; the earlier one from 1999 is a dedication album, all
>traditional/country songs, very 1930s sound, and she has the voice to pull
>it off.  Sarah had a great band and I hope this invitation by the Junkies
>open up gives her good exposure.  She's well worth a listen.
>
>Enjoy!
>
>Karen
>
>ps.  Please feel free to post this if you think the Listees would be
>interested.

More comments:
"Open" is a guitar afficinado's dream Junkies disc.  "Blue Guitar" is an
utter masterpiece.  While I enjoyed Jeff Bird's contributions at the sole CJ
show I've attended, I tend to prefer the "less is more" approach to
songwriting. This means I don't always think highly of JB's contributions,
favoring a more basic, striped-down sound.  For instance, the mandolin part
on the live release of "Sweet Jane" is nice, but I'm glad it isn't in the
original recording.  Sarah Harmer was discussed in measure on this list
recently, and I'd subsequently listened to her at the local Border's
bookstore and totally dug it.  I was unable to attend her show that was at
Rosebud a mere two days after OtR were there, as I was at my niece's
graduation.  (Anyone interested in more of my family drama?)  I doubt she
will return to Pittsburgh so soon, but who knows?  It appears this show will
be indeed be free.  Finally, I hang my head in shame and admit I only own
five Junkies CDs, and "Lay It Down" is not among them.