Re: Re: cs lewis

> > > I think it is immoral to alter the work of ANY artist without their
> > > consent.
> >
> > No one is *altering* Lewis's work -- only adding to it.
>
> Peter, I think adding to something does indeed qualify as altering it.

What I mean is, nobody is altering the books that *already exist* (which
is how the story has been reported by some people in Canada).  I suppose
you could say they *are* altering the list of official Narnia books, but
that's a different thing.  Lewis's own works remain untouched.

> As for revisionist histories, pardon my language, but if I have kids in
> school, they'd fucking well better be taught as secular a history as
> possible.

Depends what you mean by "secular".  If you mean a history that stripped
of its religous components, then no, I would not agree with that.  But if
you mean children should be encouraged to use sound scientific methods
while reconstructing the historical past, and not be obliged to toe any
specific set of dogmas (religious or otherwise), then fine.

Alas, my experience is that schools *don't* teach *critical* thinking; at
best, they focus on rattling off a set of facts and dates, without even
noticing the way worldviews influence the fact-gathering process.

> Spain thought they were doing G-d's work in the 15th century, but as the
> jews and you'll get a very different idea.

Actually, you'll get very different *ideas*, plural.  (How does that old
saying go, about two rabbis having three opinions between them?)
Seriously, though, there is never only *one* idea percolating within a
given identifiable people group.  I find that idea rather dangerous; it
leads to people saying things like "Colin Powell isn't really black".