Fwd: 19 december 1999.

fwded by request of raven.

-burrill.

-- BEGIN included message

I never know where to begin...

Should I tell you about walking up to the Ark's front door an hour
and a half before the show to discover that Ashley, Jessie, and Amy were
already among the waiting, shivering crowd?

...about sitting on the edge of the stage, scanning the crowd for
three groups of friends and not finding any of them before the start of
the show? (you know who you are...)

...about the funny guitar-faces Jason Dennie makes while weaving the
spell of his music into our waiting ears?  About his in-laws?  About
his last song, "Interplay", which included fingerings above and below
the neck of his guitar and one of those little egg shakers?

...about looking around for listie Burrill, wondering aloud if he was
in the audience only to have Dan say ten seconds later "Hey, /this/ is
listie Burrill sitting right here next to me!"?  (Hi, Burrill.  Nice
to meet you, although I apparently didn't make much of an impression
in the 5 seconds we had to tal before the band came onstage. :) )

...about the person someplace behind me who yelled "I love you, Jack!"
as Over the Rhine took the stage, thus starting a chorus of "I love you,
<band member>!" which included a loud "I love you, Terri!" from me (for
you, jg, and Terri gave me a sweet little wave and smile which I'm sure
she wouldn't mind me passing along to you).

...about the setlist?  (Nah, Burrill did a good job of that, although
I also snagged a copy of the setlist. Yay!)

Linford told us several stories over the course of the evening.  I
like it when Linford does most of the talking (what can I say--I enjoy
it when stories make sense!).  Towards the end of the concert, Linford
told us a story about a Sunday-morning listie breakfast, attended by
Karin, Linford, and three listies.  He told us about how two of the
listies at that dusty Sunday-morning meal continued to grow closer.
He told us that the ending of the story is also a beautiful beginning,
that those two people were married Saturday night.  "Jay and Lindsey,
are you here?  Did you go through with it?"  And our beaming black-clad
couple stands together saying yes, they did, and everyone applauds.
(I gladly admit to applauding with tears in my eyes.  My happiness for
the two of you bursts from my chest like a rose garden in the spring...
and it was so good to speak with you after the show!  Blessings and
kindnesses to you both as you begin a new journey together.)

No, we don't know how Linford got wind of the wedding.  None of us
told him before the show, and Lindsey and Jay didn't get there until
after Over the Rhine started playing.  Maybe he /does/ read the list...
After the story, the band played an absolutely wonderful version of
"My love is a fever".  Whee!!

Okay, enough tying up the phone lines.

Merry holidays, list.
Raven