19 december 1999.

ah, back from the show.  i very much enjoyed it.

before the doors opened i was waiting in line, just like everyone else.  all
of a sudden i noticed that the door had opened and that linford was coming
out.  he grabbed some people out of line and took them inside.  from some
comments made during the show, i took those people to be relatives.

i was pleased with my seat: it was directly in front of karin.  for the june
'99 show i was over by jack.  next to his amp, in fact.  that was fun, but i
couldn't hear anything linford was doing because i was next to jack's amp and
because linford wasn't playing a real piano.  since i was sitting below the
speakers (rather than out in front of them), there was no way i could hear
linford's piano over jack's guitar.  this time, however, i was in front of
karin and thus got the best of both worlds (jack and linford).  and linford
was playing a real piano.

due to my front-and-center seat, i snagged a setlist.  this is the first
setlist i've gotten.  maybe i'm too easily pleased, but it makes me happy.
it says:

go down ez
all i need
poughkeepsie
cast me away (intro)
and can it be
orphan girl
little blue river
thank you my angel
silent night
it came upon (l+k)
mary's waltz (l+k)
jacksie
faithfully dangereux
circle of quiet
latter daze
---
bothered (l, k, t)
my love is a fever
last night
---
rhapsodie (lk)

two things, though.  linford accidentally skipped over little blue river, and
they never did get back to it.  and instead of rhapsodie at the end, they did
june.

this was the first time i'd heard them do cast me away/and can it be,
jacksie, or any of the dnoty songs.  (and maybe orphan girl, too.)  it was
nice to hear those.

two friends went to the show with me.  after the show, one of them told me
that she isn't particularly fond of terri.  she had several somewhat harsh
comments, one of which was that she thinks terri should "play her violin more
and keep her mouth shut."  i have a vastly difficult time understanding this
viewpoint.  i mean, i can agree with the statement that terri should play her
violin more.  but mouth shut?  goodness no.  and the other friend appreciated
terri's vocal and musical additions but did not appreciate her stage
presence.  ("she seemed nervous," she said.  "she looked like she felt out of
place....like she was boxed in and wanted to dance but was afraid to.  thus
it made me feel that she was out of place.") what is it with my friends and
their finding fault with terri?  do i have the wrong friends?

i was sitting next to two listies and i didn't know it until just before otr
took the stage.  (hi, dan.  hi, sam.)  didn't get much talking in, but it was
good to meet them.  (hi, lindsey.  hi, jay, even though i never did actually
meet you.)

a few songs in, i noticed something.  when i looked in don's clear barrier
shield thing (whatever you call it), i saw linford.  or, more specifically,
linford's head.  well, okay, a reflection of linford's head.  there it was,
bobbing and looking up and down and over.  sometimes it was in don's cymbal,
and sometimes it was right on don's head (and it didn't fit so well, either).
 the odd thing was that when linford would look at karin, his reflection
would look at terri.  the other odd thing was that the shield distorted the
reflection just enough so that when linford was making a happy face, his
reflection looked like it was supremely unhappy or like it was hatching an
evil plan.

linford said that jack will be flying to england on electric guitars.  at
least, his phrasing led me to believe that jack will be flying to england on
electric guitars.  i'm not sure if that occurred to anyone else.  and i doubt
that linford meant to convey such an idea.

after the show i purchased dnoty and linford's piano cd.  not for myself, but
for my brother in law.  for christmas.  be loving--give the gift of otr.

you know, i really don't have any specific comments on the songs.  (other
than the fact that it was nice to hear the dnoty songs and the other songs
i'd never heard live.)  i hope someone else has comments on the songs.  i
just don't have any in me.  but, as you've seen, i had quite a bit else in me.

okay, that's all.

-burrill.