REVIEW: OtR @ Canal Street 11/13/99

[Well, here's my review of the show... What did anybody else think?]

I absolutely love the Canal Street Tavern gigs...  They seem to be a lot
looser and playful then at other gigs (take the Moonlight Gardens show, for
example).  Last night was no exception.  CST is such a nice, intimate
venue.  Maybe a bit cramped, but nice interaction between the audience and
the band.  Sidenote: Hey, I heard Chasing Furies were gonna be there in
December... woohoo!

Anyway, G. Jack Henderson opened up for them.  It was quite funny.  I had
never heard him play before.  It took me a bit to get used to his singing.
His anecdotes and bantering between songs was hilarious.  He's quite a
funny guy.  Too bad Karin always picks on him... :)

Speaking of Jack, I think for the Xmas show we listies should try to find
some BRIGHT ORANGE PLASTIC OARS... Whaddaya think?  If you heard his story
about his "sea" song- you'll know what I mean.

Highlights of the OtR sets:
-No drummer, but the percussion-meister from the CJ's filled in.
-Terri looked fab.  'Nuff said.
-"Jack's Valentine" was done the way it should be done- Linford
   singing it.  They jammed for a bit as well... it was probably
   10 or more minutes...
-They also jammed out pretty well to "Lucy."
-"June" :)
-Extended ending to "Circle of Quiet," but not the prior extended
   ending.  It was a third variation that I've heard...
-Karin's quote of the year... Should I post it?  She knew it would
   be out on the internet quickly... maybe I'll wait... :)
-"Rhapsodie" on the setlist once again, but not played.  I think
   it's been on the setlist everytime I've seen 'em, but I've only
   heard it once.  What's up with that?

Once into the second set, they were definitely loose.  Karin was laughing
and smiling a lot.  I even saw Terri crack a smile.  This is the way an OtR
show should be... beautiful music, but fun music too...

Dan

NP: King Crimson - Vrooom!

+- Dan Temmesfeld     Galactic Cowboys on the Web -+
   dantemm at erinet_com      http://www.dlm.net/gc/
+- Life is so much cleaner on the page (chromakey)-+