Re: New OtR site suggestions...

Chris Emery wrote:

> >As far as frames go, I can't believe that there's anyone *not* using a
> >frames-capable browser. I can take or leave frames as a navagational
> >tool, but speed-wise, a site using frames for navigation can actually be
> >faster than one without.
>
> Frames are evil.   (NOTE TO ERIC SCHUMACHER:  Pop-up windows are E-VIL,
> too)
>
> Most web designers don't have a fuckin' clue how to properly use frames, so
> I say just forget 'em.   For example, OTS (my current employer) is an
> authorized Kronos dealer (www.kronos.com).  There's a part of their
> internal site that is frames-based.  And once you've navigated to
> somewhere, and want to get back to the front page, you click on 'home', and
> it takes you back to the framed front page, INSIDE the OLD frame.   If I'm
> on a site with frames, I usually do a right-click and 'Open in new window'
> just to break out of them.

The important point here is "how to properly use frames." If you end up
with a home page inside of another frame, that's just shitty design. The
girl who runs our company's site has one of those, too. She should be
fired!

To use frames just so you can say, "Look how cool my site is. It has
frames!" is wrong. When used well, sometimes you don't even know they're
there. There are good uses of frames, and bad (just like "The Force" --
heh, heh)

dave