Re: New OtR site suggestions...

Dan Temmesfeld wrote:

> My suggestions for the new OtR site:
>
>   1. Don't make it too high-tech.  Tends to clog up things and make it
> longer to load, etc.  Less heavy graphics, more text.  There's a lot of
> cool things that can be done with smaller graphics and different colored
> text and backgrounds.  Or maybe do two different versions - HiFi/LoFi or
> Frames/ NoFrames, etc...

"High-tech" and "longer to load" don't necessarily have to mean the same
thing. A good site will have a decent amount of graphics, since you just
can't get the same "artistic" effect with text. However, a good designer
can make a graphic file so small that it downloads almost as quickly as
text. It's hard to substitute different fonts than the standard "Times"
(yuck) or "Arial" because not everyone has the same fonts installed oon
their computer. Use of graphics is the only way to ensure that everyone
is seeing the same thing.

As far as frames go, I can't believe that there's anyone *not* using a
frames-capable browser. I can take or leave frames as a navagational
tool, but speed-wise, a site using frames for navigation can actually be
faster than one without.

If there are any other web-geeks out there and you want to see (what I
thought was) a pretty slick Java-based menu system, check out ATI
Technologies (graphics cards) site at:

http://www.atitech.com/ca_us/ca_us_index.html

No, it's not very quick-loading, and it may not be terribly new, but I
thought was cool!

dave

Follow-Ups: References: