Re: Moth lyrics

Jennifer K Cochran <j-cochran at juno_com> sez:
>Chris Emery writes:
>>I'll take 'Guernica' over Monet anyday.

Hi, Jen!

>To start off with, I never said that art had to be beautiful.  I choose
>to make the comparison between Kerin's voice and a beautiful painting
>because I find her voice beautiful.

I didn't mean to imply that *you* said that, I was more or less railing at
society on that one.  My apologies.  Many, many people think art *has* to be
beautiful, or it's not art.  I disagree.

>	On the subject of art, I think that some of the most successful
>works (successful in the sense of emotional impact) are those which ar
>not "pretty", or "nice".  Lucian Freud's figures are realistic to the
>pointe of being grotesque.  No one can call these paintings beautiful in
>the conventional sense, however their emotinal impact is unmistakeable.
>Their impact is  a direct result of their grotesqueness.

Hence my reference yesterday to that Rodin that was mentioned in _Stranger In
A Strange Land_.  Wish I could remember the name now.

>lthough I have
>never been a fan of Kandinsky's ( I do like to see some sort of technical
>skill demonstrated in a work of art),

Giotto, then?  ;-)

> will be among the first to say
>how much Monet sucks.  For as much as we get Monet rammed down our
>throats, his paintings lack personality and emotional depth.

I think Monet just painted the world as he saw it, but he needed bifocals.
That's why everything's fuzzy.

Since we're talking impressionists, my mother had a Renoir copy that hung over
our piano while I was growing up.  I never learned the name of it, but it
featured a young woman in a blue gown seated at a piano, flanked by candles.
Mom said it moved her.  I need to see it again.
--
NP: Queen - _Queen II_
From the notebooks of Lazarus Long (1916-4272):