Re: That Letter

Chris Emery wrote:

> Signing to a major label DOES NOT automatically mean the following:
> -the band is "selling out" (whatever THAT means)
> -the band is going to convert to the pop-flavor-of-the-month
> -the band cares more about money than music
> -artistic integrity is gone
> -the band doesn't care about the fans anymore

I just wanted to comment on this because I'm really confused why
some/many people are assuming that signing to a major label
automatically means that OTR will give up total control of the creative
process AND that the "slicky boy" producer (remember that one?) will
WANT to change their sound. Is it possible? Yeah, I guess so. But I
don't recall that happening with IRS. Does the size of the label really
make a difference? Isn't it really a function of the producer and how
much he/she wants to get involved with the "sound" of the band, rather
than the production of the album? I would think that the band has enough
experience at this point to know what kind of producer they want to get
involved with, and I would think they'd at least have some say in who
that producer is.

My advice to Linford is to go with the opportunity at hand. If you
don't, I think you and all of your current fans will always wonder "What
if?"  I would take the opportunity to introduce yourself to wider
audience. I can share your music with my friends. But, as much as I'd
like to believe otherwise, that's really not a whole lot of people (it's
a big country, you know).

If it turns out that the assumed success is not what you thought it
would be, back out then. I would think that it would be easier to back
out of the deal later than to try to get another one in a few years, and
go through the whole process again. And I do think you'd get other
tempting offers in the future and would torture yourself with the same
"what if" scenario. Go for it!

dave