Re: That Letter

"Joshua M. Neds-Fox" <jnedsfox at moody_edu> sez:
>Chris Emery says:
>
>> This is my main concern.  Signing with Columbia (or whoever) almost guarantees
>> the re-release of the existing albums we all know and love.
>
>I'm so keen on this.

As am I.  As is everyone floating out there without owning the joy that is
_Eve_.

>> Go with the label ... I say take the path with greater
>> risks, and the potential for greater rewards.
>> And always, always, always be true to yourselves.
>
>I'm recognizing in the character of these heartfelt responses to our band's
>letter a "taking sides" sort of feel.  To address this, I want to say for
>the record that if OTR signs with a label, I'll still buy.

I'll support the band regardless, and I like to think that other listies will
do the same.

Signing to a major label DOES NOT automatically mean the following:
-the band is "selling out" (whatever THAT means)
-the band is going to convert to the pop-flavor-of-the-month
-the band cares more about money than music
-artistic integrity is gone
-the band doesn't care about the fans anymore

Signing to a major label DOES most likely mean the following:
-wide distribution of future releases, and probably the back catalogue as
well.
-national tours supporting major acts at first, then headlining eventually.
-A NEW ALBUM, probably soon - one you can buy at Borders, Tower, or even
Wal-Mart.
-radio (possibly video) promotion of the band
-a modicum of financial security for the band - remember that this is what
they DO for a living, so they might as well be compensated for doing it so
well.

>> (can you guys tell I just finished rererereading 'Glory Road' last night?)
>
>That's funny, I just listened to the Boss's "Glory Days" and Portishead's
>"Glory Box" recently.  And I watched Denzel in "Glory" a while ago.

Glory, glory hallelujah.   I'll still take Heinlein over the Boss anyday.
--
NP: Dave Matthews Band - _Under The Table And Dreaming_
ICQ: 1388556  ***    AIM: ChrisEmery

Follow-Ups: References: