Re: To all, from Linford

On Tue, 16 Mar 1999 Ponybat at aol_com wrote:

> Here's my opinion (for now, at least):
> Hell, there are alot of bands out there who are signed to major labels that
> don't get a lot of radio play.  There are many, many "independent" artists who
> have an incredible following.  So, what's a musician to do?  That, my friends
> is the question. . . every young, aspiring musician must face it.  Do I want
> to be a part (in whatever way) of a corporate society that will take care of
> me and eventually tell me what to do or do I want to answer only to myself?
> These are the facts, kids.  Over the Rhine is an incredible band in so many
> ways - people will hear them.  What is all this "the world needs OtR"
> bullshit?  I'm not being selfish, now, trust me.  :-) The way to get more
> people to hear OtR is to promote them ourselves.  We tell our friends, they
> tell theirs, etc.  Over the Rhine has this "holy" feeling about them (no
> spiritual implications, thank you) and I, personally, do NOT want to hear
> stupid girls in the mall singing along to the music we all hold so dear.
> So, in conclusion, I say, "DAMN THE MAN, LINFORD!!!!!!"

First of all I don't think it would be possible to turn Otr into some
kinda pop/rock.  They just don't do tha kind of music.  I think the worst
that would be is that they would become something like the Junkies.  I
mean I haven't seen their music compromised in any way.  I asked Michael
about that when he played at  Calvin, and he said that they occaisionally
got problems, but for the most part the record company let them do their
thing because it was the main reason that they signed them in the first
place.  I just don't see thousand of screaming Jrhigh girls storming the
stage when Linford plays "Jack's Valentine"  I can't imagine the teeny
bopper's saying things like, " Oh my goodness did you see Brian?  He is
like sooooo hot."  I don't think Linford would take the offer if it were
THAT dangerous.

Stephen Swanson