To sign or not to sign?

	Hey all,

	Linford's letter was, to me, a very reassuring thing.  What it tells
me is that we, the fans, are still in the minds of the band and we do
sincerely appreciate that.  Thanks.

	While it's great to say "Be true to yourself" and "don't let those
awful record execs run the show," the end of Linford's note was what caught
my eye and made me think hard for a while.

>    P.S. We've had a problem keeping up with orders for Good Dog Bad Dog.
>We ran out of stock at the end of December and we're expecting a large shipment
> in the next few weeks. Just thought you might like to know.

	As stated earlier by others, finding old albums (and even recent ones)
is difficult.  Without a label, it's hard to keep these on the shelves and
even ordering directly from the band doesn't always get the music into the
fans' hands (which is, the goal of Over the Rhine, or at least _a_ goal I would
think.)  Staying independent is taxing on a band.  A small but devoted fan base
is a wonderful thing, but it's not going to pay the bills all of the time.
(Unfortunately)

	Having said all that, signing to Capitol Records does kinda make my
stomach queasy.  Unless the record company is enthusastic about supporting
the band and letting them run the show _their_ way (as IRS was at the beginning)
then getting processed and canned into 3 minute singles might be in the future
for our favorite band.

	I know that earlier last year, the band turned down offers from smaller
labels.  Any ideas why?  Seems to me the ideal situation would be to jump
onto a small label that would distribute their albums and at least give out
a promotional item here and there, but it seems that this idea was nixed.

	Regardless of the band's decision, I'm eagerly awaiting a new album.

	Jeff

	P.S.  The Over the Rhine History Page is going to moving again.
              I'm actually going to graduate soon (Hallelujah) so my page
              at Georgia Tech will be going the way of the dinosaur in a few
              months.

	      But for now, you can still check it out at
	      http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gt5276b/otrhine

"The past can be like sidewalk chalk
 if you will dance and pray for rain"
 FORGET WHAT YOU KNOW - Caedmon's Call               jholland at cc_gatech.edu
                                       http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gt5276b