Re: SNtR, OtR

At 9:34 AM -0800 12/9/98, Jillian Tully wrote:

>I will now let you know that you are fully redeemed and saved my career
>story due to your playing of this album. *grin* Jonatha Brooke is
>amazing and wonderful...and although IMO _10 Cent Wings_ is better, this
>one is just as amazing!

Plumb took just forever to grow on me.  I've had the album for well over a
year.  I think I picked it up on the recommendation of someone from the
Joni Mitchell list.  Anyway, I found it cheap somewhere and listened to it
a few times, didn't care for it, and over the next year would spin it to
see if I liked it more.  Mostly, I didn't.  But right now, I can't stop
playing it.  I guess good stuff just takes a while to grow on you.

>Oh, and by the way...I wasn't really going to be that immature and
>attack you just because you don't like some songs. Heck,there are
>Sixpence songs *I* don't like! But honestly, I think a couple of the
>songs on FATW are more "whiny" than anything on the s/t album. Come
>on...."meaningless"?

Well, okay, I have FATW, but haven't spun it as much as Beautiful Mess and
the s/t.  It may be that they're just relentlessly whiny and it's following
through their whole career and I'll either just have to deal with it or
bail out on 'em.  But they have some great people as influences (Sam
Phillips being another, apparently) and their talent shines through their
occasional whiny moments.  IT's not like Joni Mitchell hasn't whined in the
studio and I think she's queen o' the castle.

-Neil
known to whine on occasion, but so far lucky enough to not have any of it
published and distributed across the nation.

Neil E. Orts               *  . . . books are my passion, not only writing
Sr. Administrative Assoc.  *  them and every once in a while even reading
Office of Graduate Studies *  them but just having them and moving them
University of Texas Austin *  around and feeling the comfort of their
Main 101 -- 512/232-3625   *  serene presence.
neo at mail_utexas.edu        *
fax:  512/475-8851         *                     -Frederick Buechner