sarah mclachlan stealing from otr/karin

hi all

(i thought i would go for the stream of consciousness effect)

I know there has been at least one message to the list regarding this
topic.  but the recent mention of sarah coming out of the closet as a
fan (at the lilith fair) got me to thinking.  we now know that sarah
herself is a fan,  we already know that pierre marchand, sarah's
co-writer/ producer, cohort etc. is also a fan.  he has been seen at an
otr show in 95 plus he is thanked on the gdbd thankyou's .

so i bought surfacing the other day and am amazed at how much this album
rips off otr.  i'm not a musician, so i can't name things per se, but
just the way sarah uses her voice, and all the strange coincidences like
certain words that are common to both lyrics and the way certain songs
sound like otr songs.  okay, here's the examples. keep in mind i just
bought the cd and don't have it handy, but one of the lyrics uses the
word "finger" as a verb almost superfluously--as in from "fingering the
flame"--and I swear there's a song on there that brings Rhapsody to my
mind everytime i hear it.  I will listen again and report back the name.

I know that "imitation is the most sincere form of flattery", and Poe
said that we subconscioulsy regurgitate the things that affect us most
deeply, but I feel that this has almost ruined SM for me.

any thoughts?  any slams--as seems to be the trend lately...

peace and incense,