Re: sarah mclachlan stealing from otr/karin

DustyVolume <marquis at icx_net> sez:
>hi all

<everyone>  Hi, Mark!

>(i thought i would go for the stream of consciousness effect)

I much prefer the stream of unconsciousness.

[...]
>herself is a fan,  we already know that pierre marchand, sarah's
>co-writer/ producer, cohort etc. is also a fan.  he has been seen at an
>otr show in 95 plus he is thanked on the gdbd thankyou's .

Think Pierre Marchand is hittin' that?   He's gotta be.

>so i bought surfacing the other day and am amazed at how much this album
>rips off otr.  i'm not a musician, so i can't name things per se, but

The biggest thing that hit me upon hearing _Surfacing_ was how lame it
is compared to _Solace_ or _Fumbling Towards Ecstasy_.

>just the way sarah uses her voice, and all the strange coincidences like
>certain words that are common to both lyrics and the way certain songs
>sound like otr songs.

There are a lot of similarities between her vocal phrasing and
scansion and Karin's.   I don't know if one has influenced the other
or not, but there it is.   At least, I think this is what you're
getting at, Marky Mark.

>okay, here's the examples. keep in mind i just
>bought the cd and don't have it handy, but one of the lyrics uses the
>word "finger" as a verb almost superfluously--as in from "fingering the
[...]

Funny story regarding 'finger' as a verb:   (don't *go* there, jg!)
File this under: Wacky Chris Trivia.
I learned finger as a verb through it being a UNIX command before I
was aware of any other connotations of it.

Scary, huh?

>I know that "imitation is the most sincere form of flattery", and Poe
>said that we subconscioulsy regurgitate the things that affect us most
>deeply, but I feel that this has almost ruined SM for me.

I don't think it's conscious or intentional, FWIW.

>any thoughts?  any slams--as seems to be the trend lately...

<insert token slam here>

NP: Pink Floyd - 'Have A Cigar'
ICQ #: 1388556  ***    AIM: ChrisEmery
Floyd Code: v1.2a r+d>s TW 0/0/ FD 1- 0 Meddle 3 0 29.8% <16oct98>
"Kibology is the sound of a deaf man clapping one
   hand into a tree that's falling in the woods with
     no one around to hear it." - Kevin Allegood