Re: U2 (apologies in advance to Wireling everywhere)

Brad Caviness wrote:

> [...]

Whoa... I guess I'm "old school" then. I really am a crotchety old man...

> And you think some of the
> OtR fans are obsessive? You should see some of the freaks over there! Many
> of them spend thousands of dollars every year the band is on tour to fly to
> different cities and get tickets for as many shows as will fit on their visa
> card. They buy all the various calendars and key chains, and mouse pads, and
> whatnots. They know the names of the band's security guards and personal
> assistants. They name their pets after the band members (the thought of
> someone saying "Here Linford, here Linford" to a cat tickles me to no end).
> They drop obscure dialog references from the movie "Rattle & Hum" into
> everyday conversation.

I'm _in_ that movie, just for the record. Out in the crowd somewhere at the
Denver show...

> They know the *alternate* words the band sings to
> songs live. There are religious orders whose members are less devoted than
> Wirelings. I expect there will be a worldwide mass intervention one of these
> days. And most of them are horribly disappointed with the idea of a U2
> greatest hits package (not that it will stop them from purchasing it
> anyway).

Actually, I'm pretty disappointed myself. Cuz I thought it was supposed to be a
b-sides comp. Which would have been cool. I already have all the CDs, and have
"The Sweetest Thing" on an old 45 somewhere. Why would I want to buy it all
again? I don't have the b-sides. As far as obsessive is concerned, check out
alt.music.smash-pumpkins sometime... Then again, I suppose Corgan is pretty
much that way, too, so he kind of invites it.
Peace, hope, love, Jesus Christ - Layner
...it meant the world to hold a bruising faith,
but now it's just a matter of grace...           - Smashing Pumpkins