Re: U2 (apologies in advance to Wireling everywhere)

-----Original Message-----
From: Layne Petersen
>Yeah. We're crotchety old men, Brad. :)>  Was _TJT_ the first U2 album you
got?
>I didn't get into them until _War_, so, by the "mainstream" standards, I
was
>early. By bigtime U2 fans, I was way late...
>--
Don't sell yourself short. I check in occassionaly on the U2 Wire (their
version of this email listserv thingie), and these days you're considered
"old skool" if you checked in before Achtung Baby! And you think some of the
OtR fans are obsessive? You should see some of the freaks over there! Many
of them spend thousands of dollars every year the band is on tour to fly to
different cities and get tickets for as many shows as will fit on their visa
card. They buy all the various calendars and key chains, and mouse pads, and
whatnots. They know the names of the band's security guards and personal
assistants. They name their pets after the band members (the thought of
someone saying "Here Linford, here Linford" to a cat tickles me to no end).
They drop obscure dialog references from the movie "Rattle & Hum" into
everyday conversation. They know the *alternate* words the band sings to
songs live. There are religious orders whose members are less devoted than
Wirelings. I expect there will be a worldwide mass intervention one of these
days. And most of them are horribly disappointed with the idea of a U2
greatest hits package (not that it will stop them from purchasing it
anyway).