Re: GDBD

Paul Christian Glenn wrote:

> << I think I may be one of those strange people who really really loves GDBD
> but has a very hard time getting into Eve or Patience >>
>
> >I am one of these as well!  Mr. Emery might berate me, but I LOVE gdbd.  We
> >should band together in a show of force.  The others be damned!  (or some
> >other trite militaristic phrase)
>
> I think GDBD is easily OtR's best release ('course, I've only got GDBD, EVE,
> PATIENCE, BESIDES, and DNOTY. I wish I had TWHF).  BESIDES is probably my
> second favorite.

Depends on the mood. I've actually found myself listening to _Eve_ far more
than I used to. It's just got a way different vibe than the others, imo. And
yes, it's probably more in line with their live shows than the others. But when
it's snowing out (like, in about 2 weeks here in Colorado, probably), DNoTY
will be in the player muchly.

> Why GDBD?  It seems to be the musical fulfillment of what the lyrics have
> been saying all along.  It's beautiful and painful and doesn't smell like
> rock 'n' roll (which OtR has never successfully pulled off anyway).

Ooh, are you gonna get disagreed with on this one...

> It
> feels like solitude at Nick's Cafe on Thursday night, with a dark brew in
> one hand and a pencil in the other.  It's intimate and doesn't hold any
> pretense.  It's less radio and more secrets.  IMHO. :)

I agree. I probably like the vibe of GDBD and _Patience_ the best. They seem
the most similar to me. But that's probably just me. GDBD reminds me of sitting
in the coffeehouse in my neighborhood with my journal or a book some nice,
quiet evening. Many an evening spent that way with that disc. And Emmylou
Harris's _Wrecking Ball_ too, for that matter.

> AIM: cirhsein         |  "...my weakness is my
> www.top.net/macnow    |  testimony."  - Charlie Peacock

Ah, a Peacock fan. Nice quote. His stuff hasn't really done much for me in a
few years, but his stuff up through about '92 or so is cool.

np: Nanci Griffith - _Blue Roses From the Moon_

Peace, hope, love, Jesus Christ - Layner
...it meant the world to hold a bruising faith,
but now it's just a matter of grace...           - Smashing Pumpkins