Re: GDBD

Heyya, Chris, how's it going? Any more info on the Monk show?

On Mon, 5 Oct 1998, Chris Emery wrote:

> Eh.   You can't count _Besides_ since it's a compilation/b sides
> collection.

Uh, who made Chris the OtR CD police?  ;)

> I'd rate 'em:
> Eve
> Patience
> TWHF
> GDBD

How about:
Till We Have Faces
Eve
Patience
Good Dog Bad Dog

I don't know what it is about TWHF that draws me so much, perhaps it is
because it was the first album I listened to, and I guess it also helps
that I've heard most of the songs live. That's probably a big thing for
Eve as well... Perhaps I wouldn't like it as much if I had only heard the
songs on the CD. I totally looked over My Love is a Fever, until I heard
it in concert and realized how much ass that song kicks.

> "Musical fulfullment"?   Yikes!   It's easily the most uninspired and
> monotonous OTR album - musically, that is.   If it moves you, great,
> but I guess I just need more than 2 key changes per album.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that.... I thought that
Mr. Jesus, er, I mean A Gospel Number had a good musical change of style;
Jack's Valentine was different and had great percussion, Happy To Be So
had a great mix and great backup, and I consider Willoughby to be one of
Ric's greater solo works. Though I would also agree that some of the other
tunes do tend to be less "varried" musically than the variety of mix on
their other albums.

> >It's beautiful and painful and doesn't smell like
> >rock 'n' roll (which OtR has never successfully pulled off anyway).

Uh, no...

> What?   Did you ever see OTR live anytime from late '92-'94?   They
> just plain RAWKED the house.    I've got tapes to prove it, if you
> don't believe me.
>
> Don't tell me OTR could never rock.  I ain't buying it.

Couldn't agree with Chris more. The first time I saw Ric up on stage he
took me in with his guitar playing and never quite gave me back. He
changed the way I listen music, and whenever I listen to a guitarist I use
him a basis for comparison.

> *** News flash ***
*sniped for brevity

LOL!