Re: GDBD

Dancing on a volcano, "Paul Christian Glenn" <cirhsein at top_net> said:

><< I think I may be one of those strange people who really really loves GDBD
>but has a very hard time getting into Eve or Patience >>
>
>>I am one of these as well!  Mr. Emery might berate me, but I LOVE gdbd.  We
>>should band together in a show of force.  The others be damned!  (or some
>>other trite militaristic phrase)

Mr. Emery's email was down all day (yikes!) and wasn't able to berate
*anyone*.   I hate it when that happens.   Anyway, here's a (mostly)
stationary target.  ;-)

>I think GDBD is easily OtR's best release ('course, I've only got GDBD, EVE,
>PATIENCE, BESIDES, and DNOTY. I wish I had TWHF).  BESIDES is probably my
>second favorite.

Eh.   You can't count _Besides_ since it's a compilation/b sides
collection.

I'd rate 'em:
Eve
Patience
TWHF
GDBD

With _Patience_ and _Eve_ switching places at the vernal and autumnal
equinox(es ?).

>Why GDBD?  It seems to be the musical fulfillment of what the lyrics have
>been saying all along.

"Musical fulfullment"?   Yikes!   It's easily the most uninspired and
monotonous OTR album - musically, that is.   If it moves you, great,
but I guess I just need more than 2 key changes per album.

>It's beautiful and painful and doesn't smell like
>rock 'n' roll (which OtR has never successfully pulled off anyway).

What?   Did you ever see OTR live anytime from late '92-'94?   They
just plain RAWKED the house.    I've got tapes to prove it, if you
don't believe me.

Don't tell me OTR could never rock.  I ain't buying it.

>It feels like solitude at Nick's Cafe on Thursday night, with a dark brew in
>one hand and a pencil in the other.  It's intimate and doesn't hold any
>pretense.  It's less radio and more secrets.  IMHO. :)

*** News flash ***

We interrupt this post to bring you SHOCKING revelations of secrets
from the recording sessions of Over The Rhine's _Good Dog Bad Dog: The
Home Recordings_ album.   Remember, you heard it here first!

"Hey, don't tell Ric we're recording, OK?"
"Man, get this!   I told Karin she's only allowed to use the capo on
one fret, and she *believed* me!"
"Karin, wear that baby-doll dress and face the camera, and I'll spread
a rumor on the listserv that you're *pregnant*!

*** News flash ***

--NP: Yes _Relayer_
ICQ #: 1388556  ***    AIM: ChrisEmery
"Women who seek equality with men lack creativity."
    - Lisa Walker

Follow-Ups: References: