RE: Flyin' High - OtR Concert Review (long)

In a message dated Tue, 01 Sep 1998 22:35:08, scott ulrich writes:

| "Didn't have enough money to bring him along." That's
| kind of strange. If it turns out that Brian has left the band, or
| something, I will be very, very sad.  :(  You know, I believe the
reason
| he left Monk was because Ric was putting less time in with the band
| in order to work with David Wilcox. Same sort of thing with OTR and
CJ?

Continual or extended work with CJ would definately put limitations on
people other than Brian.  I think this tour has been very fun and
profitable for OtR.  They'll keep up the connection and the
relationships formed but as far as collaborating is concerned, I think
both bands are too strong to do that.  Although they're not equals,
Michael and Linford are both incredible song writers and Karin and Margo
are both incredible leaders. When together, someone will always have to
settle for a little less. However, it has been a valuable and fun
experience for both bands and I wouldn't be surprised if the Junkies
asked Linford to guest on their next album (distant future)...I think
they really liked the hammond.  That would also give OtR a little extra
cash.
Has Brian been at all the other gigs?  Does anyone know?  Maybe it just
had something to do with the show being in Canada.

| > 3. Needle and the Bruise
| Cool, I'm glad to see some other members of the band are contributing.
| hope they play this one at the Taft Theatre (Ohio) show, as I've never
| heard any of Jack's original work.

Good stuff, but I hope they don't choose to completely go in this
direction.  Not that it was bad, but just very standard jazz/blues and a
whole album of the standard would be...well, boring.

| Does anyone else find it kind of strange to hear somebody refer to
Orphan
| Girl and Seahorse as the songs on OtR's setlist that rocked. hmmm....

Take another look at the set list.  How many of those do you think would
rock? (and I believe I said *a little*).  It was a very mellow concert -
mellow at it's absolute best however.  I guess Seahorse and Orphan Girl
were the only one's that had an up beat tempo and a little more
instrumentation.

| That was a cool story. I'm glad to hear that it sounds like the band
is
| becoming a little more verbal with the audience again.
| For a while it seemed like they didn't converse hardly at all like
| they used to.

They were very personable...at least Karin was.  Does Linford ever talk
during shows?  Karin did quite a bit of talking, she's got a great
talking voice.

| Yep, you are quite incorrect.  :)  I remember reading (in the first
| Northern Spy, perhaps, I can't remeber...) that Over the Rhine played
at
| some little Canadian place, just North of the border, where only about
8
| people showed up to the show, so Over the Rhine told the venue owner
that
| he need not pay them, since no one came to see the band.

I stand corrected...but does that *really* count?

| Sure, I'll take some info. I figure this IS an Over
| the Rhine list, and right now CJ has as much to do with them as
anything
| else, especially since half the band is playing in on some of the
tunes.

Okay...I figured the review was long enough already...CJ's will be quite
short and not nearly as descriptive...okay?

| Thanks for the review, Candace. That was somehow refreshing.
Thank *you*.

Candace