RE: love from Paste

On Mon, 2003-08-25 at 09:26, Nick Purdy wrote:

<snip>

See, not *this* is what customer service is.  Yes, there were some
screwups, and yes, there were some things that didn't go as smoothly as
people would have liked.  And yes, some people were disappointed.

So Paste had several options:

1) Ignore the complaints.  Hey, we're doing the best we can, they'll
just have to suck it up.

2) Apologize.  Hey, we're doing the best we can, and we're sorry things
aren't working out like we'd all wish they would.  Please forgive us.

3) Make it right.  Hey, you didn't get a signed CD?  Our bad.  You send
us yours, we'll send you a signed one, won't cost you a penny.

4) Go above and beyond.  Hey, you didn't get a signed CD?  That sucks -
tell you what, we'll send you one right away.  No, don't worry about the
one you got already, it's on us.  Evangelize with it.

Absolutely way too many companies nowadays follow #1.  Very few follow
#2, and usually at a half-hearted level.  It's those rare ones that
choose #3 and/or #4 that are the ones I go back to again and again,
because they take care of me.

And what makes me feel fuzzy is the fact that for many things, music and
technology in particular, I'm a "decision influencer" - a lot of
friends/family ask for and/or take my advice on what to buy, where to
buy, etc - so I can help those that I love, and those that I don't...
well, that's not my problem. ;)

So thanks, Paste and Linford.  I would have been content with just
getting my CD signed at the next concert and ordering from Borders next
time, but now I'm much more than happy, and I can start evangelizing
Ohio as soon as the signed copy comes (sorry, won't part with the only
copy we have just yet!)

Troy