RE: love from Paste

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003, Troy Miller wrote:

> 3) Make it right.  Hey, you didn't get a signed CD?  Our bad.  You send
> us yours, we'll send you a signed one, won't cost you a penny.
>
> 4) Go above and beyond.  Hey, you didn't get a signed CD?  That sucks -
> tell you what, we'll send you one right away.  No, don't worry about the
> one you got already, it's on us.  Evangelize with it.

Actually, I was a little surprised when Paste pursued option #3.  After
all the hassle they put people through -- getting them to pre-order, then
sending discs late and unsigned, etc. -- it seemed rather gauche to ask
these same people to go through the hassle of mailing the discs back.

Even if Paste promised to re-imburse its customers for the postage and
packaging (and I can't recall whether they did), it still would have been
quite a hassle.  And I can't imagine the re-sell value on all those used
discs would have outweighed the cost of reimbursing the postage all that
much, anyway.  And if they *weren't* going to reimburse the postage --
well, that would have been just plain bad public relations, really.

Much simpler for Paste to take its lumps, admit they screwed up and send
out another round of discs, period.  I'm not at all surprised Linford went
for option #4, but I *am* surprised it had to be his call, not Paste's.

Nothing tells memories from ordinary moments; only afterwards do they
   claim remembrance, on account of their scars. -- Chris Marker, La Jetee