Re: left behind etc.

Bethany Keeley wrote:
> I can relate.  I grew up knowing that I wanted to be a writer,
> but for years I worried that I shouldn't write the sort of books
> that I loved, but write stuff like you find in a christian
> bookstore, if I wanted to be a good Christian.  Th

heh. I get the feeling that if the various authors of the Bible went to
IVP or BRoadman & Holman to get thier work published, they'd be laughed
and/or thrown out of the boardroom.

SCENE: Matthew, an ex-IRS agent-turned author, has completed his first
work, a memior of his encounter with the Son of God. He stands in front
of a group of publishing executives at InterVarsity Press as they
prepare to discuss his manuscript, humbly titled "The Book of Matthew"

SUIT 1: Well son, you've got a flair for style, and it's clear you can
write well, but... we'll have to pass.

MATT. : I... I don't understand. I thought this material would be
perfect for your market.

SUIT 2: We're with you on the general idea, but we feel you'd have to do
some serious edits. For example, all this repeated business about loving
your enemies and turning the other cheek is pretty and poetic, but
haven't you heard? We're at war, son. This stuff smacks of crticising
the President, who is, we all know, a devout Christian, which means that
stuff which criticises him is by definition anti-Christian.

MATT.: You're aware, I take it, that the person saying all that stuff is
Christ...

SUIT 1: I don't care if it was The Virgin Mary. The President prayed
about the war, so it must be God's will. Did you pray about this book
before you wrote it?

SUIT 2: Then there's this violent, disturbing scene where your main
character enters a temple and disrupts the business there. Reads like
terrorism to me.

SUIT 1: And the end, son, the end. Your character just *gives up*.
Hardly a bestseller. We find that books which emphasize the victorious
aspects of the Christian life sell more.

SUIT 2: Right. You know, there was this nice Jewish chap in here earlier
- what was his name - oh yeah: Joshua. Wrote a killer book about a bunch
of Isrealis kicking the asses of thousands of Palestinians. "Be strong
an courageous." "They left none alvie that breathed." Man, that's good
writing.

SUIT 1: That's what's selling these days son. Write us a good story
about this "Yeshua" guy kicking ass and takig names, and maybe we'll talk.

- John

np: "Empty Sky" - Da Boss

--
John Paul Davis