Re: ripped off @ C-Stone - little forehead crosses

On Thu, 3 Apr 2003, Christian Lindemer wrote:

> >If I recall, I think you have it...kinda.  I remember listening to them as
> >radio dramas (I figured that if I was going to talk about them, I should
> >at least know what I'm talking about.), and the way it worked was that if
> >you became a Christian, a mark appeared that only other Christians could
> >see.  Very much in the vein of understanding belief in Christ as a single
> >event.  I didn't listen much beyond that point, but it was a sort of
> >a wink-wink as to when you were dealing with other Christians.
> >
> >Fun stuff to build plot points around, but yeesh.
> >

> Call me stupid, but wouldn't the /absence/ of the Mark of the Beast be a
> half-decent clue as to a person's Christian status?
>
> What's the point of having a hidden sign?  People may be evil, but
> they're not (necessarily) dumb.
>
> "I can't tell is this guy is one of us, or one of those dirty Christians!"
> "Well, does he have the Mark of the Beast?"
> "No, I guess not."
> "Persecute him!  Persecute him!"
>
> -Smitty the Persecutor of Bran Muffins

True enough.  If memory serves (great, you're making me remember this
tripe.), the Christian 'mark' (I think it was called the seal of the lamb
or some such thing) started showing up before the whole mark of the beast
thing.

Man, what a bad series of books.  At the ever-fabulous L'Abri conference
in Minnesota last year, there was a tremendous seminar called 'What Was
Left Behind?', which pretty much lambasted much of Christian cultural
media as devoid of art, particularly LaHaye and Jenkin's brainchild.

Two other notes:

1)  Timmy LaHaye is one of the folks behind the Moral Majority.  There's a
_great_ article on the guy over at www.sojo.net.  He ain't just a picture
on a cover.

2)  www.canonpress.org, publishers of _Right Behind_, a satire of
everyone's favorite end of the world gloom and doom.

-Drew J

O Drew Johnson - djohnson at snowplow_org - Ld Robert Bartholomew, SCA  )   ^ ^
O    I also have the garlic powder. - Diablo - 10/4/98, goats.com    X  (_|_)
O            Check out rft.melm.org - Radio Free Tomorrow.           | (bunny)