Re: Good Citizens (not so very long.)

On Thu, 7 Nov 2002, liesel and then some wrote:
> i am only one vote and my boy didn't even win on tuesday, but by g-d i
> cancelled out someone on the other side's vote (perhaps that isn't the
> most healthy way of looking at it...).

Heh.  That reminds me of an old _Barney Miller_ episode, where a guy is
arrested for locking his wife in the bathroom or something -- and why did
he do it?  Because he knew she was going to vote for the other guy, and
thus cancel his vote -- and is that what democracy's all about?  :)

Of course, you can only "cancel" someone else's vote in a two-party
system; in Canada, where there are *four* major federal parties (five, if
you live in Quebec), it's not so easy to vote "against" someone.

 If true love never did exist how could we know its name? -- Sam Phillips
          Happiness happens but I want joy. -- Marjorie Cardwell