Re: Good Citizens (not so very long.)

> dustyvolume at yahoo_com:
> >I was in line today to vote, and I was the only
> person under 55 in the whole
> >place, and I felt utterly disconnected from the
> whole political participation
> >scenario.  I asked myself 'what am I doing here?'

markiepoo.
you were taking part in a process, a right, that
millions of people in nondemocratic societies would
kill for.  next time bring a group of friends with
you, you won't feel so disconnected...
i have a confession:
i love voting.  i luv voting like some odd people love
donating blood.  i can't help it.  i am only one vote
and my boy didn't even win on tuesday, but by g-d i
cancelled out someone on the other side's vote
(perhaps that isn't the most healthy way of looking at
it...).  i love going into that booth, standing in a
shroud of musty curtain and archaeic (sp??) levers and
the slight nervousness in making sure i choose the
right person.  it is, and i realize this will sound
bizarre, my good deed.  i put a candidate's poster in
my front flower bed this year, i sent out an email
reminding friends to vote ('cept the ones who'll vote
the other way...doh!  it's terrible i know).  it's all
my way feeling more a part of what happens to me.  and
even when it doesn't turn out as i wanted it to -- i
tried my damnedest in the process.
and as for feeling you are voting for a lesser of two
evils, well, there are a ton of candidates out there
worth supporting, you just don't hear their names.
find one and support him/her.  if you still can't find
one, the beauty of living in the u.s. is that you
could run yourself.  so stop whining and do it.

liesel

=====
Life gets complicated when you live it.  Doesn’t it?

- gavin farnsworth the great