Good Citizens (very long.)

On 11/5/02 6:37 PM, quoth the effervescent dustyvolume at yahoo_com at
dustyvolume at yahoo_com:

>> what's the worst part is, i have NO idea what i would be voting for.
>
>Jess, that's not the worst part--the worst part is actually researching the
>candidates and finding that when you acutally cast your vote, you're
>saying yes
>to the lesser of the two money-grabbing, mud-slinging, selfish, elitist, good
>for nothings, except what's in their own best interest, pigs.
>
>Most elections, I'd rather be ignorant to the facts, than knowingly
>helping one
>of these schmucks into office.
>
>I was in line today to vote, and I was the only person under 55 in the whole
>place, and I felt utterly disconnected from the whole political participation
>scenario.  I asked myself 'what am I doing here?'  I would have bolted for
>the
>door if not for all the time it would have cost me and I was already running
>late.
>
>Hey, I don't sound bitter do I?
>
>If not, I can always try harder.
>
>Mark ;)

Well, having been a little more involved in the the elections than most
of my acquaintance, I actually-- and I'm astonished to say this-- have to
disagree. There ARE good men and women out there, and some of them
actually got elected last night.

I left work at 10 Monday night. Our team was watching ten markets, and I
had two of them: South Dakota and Iowa. We worked with one television
station in each market and have been studying how to make their websites
and broadcasts more effective at getting information out in way that will
engage voters. Go take a look-- www.KELOland.com and
www.TheIowaChannel.com-- and tell me how you think we all collectively
did. At any rate, I did hours of screen captures to look at our sites and
our competitors' now, two-plus months after we began, to be able to
compare them.

I was back again Tuesday morning, just before noon. We spent the day
going over last-minute plans for watching and capturing our websites,
seeing who had the most data up and when, what our stations and their
competitors were doing. At 6pm, we all moved into a larger,
dramatically-lit, windowless, tech-savvy computer lab across the hall,
with one large-screen projection TV tuned to CNN, and three smaller TVs
watching and taping different local and cable news outlets. Everyone on
our team sat at a computer and began, every half hour, to snatch web
captures like pixellated butterflies. At first, we were all fairly
energised and excited. This was a long time coming. Months of work, and
it's finally Election Night! Woo!

We've been so focussed on our individual markets, it's almost as if we're
there. I've never been to Iowa, but boy, do I have some choice words
ready for Senate candidate Greg Ganske's campaign managers if I ever see
them. I mean, the guy looks like a weasel to begin with, don't paint him
as some slavering, vindictive malcontent, pointing up every mistake Dem.
Tom Harkin and his campaign made (and there were a few) without once--
ONCE-- saying, okay, politics are like this, let's move on and talk about
issues. And oh, please G-d, don't send out email  newsletters in garish,
oversized type that looks like your kid nephew put them together in
between X-box fixes. The way to respond to something your opponent does
that you don't like is to do something better, not publically pounce and
worry it to death endlessly like a rat terrier. I would also have liked
to see a Ganske ad with an original idea, not a defensive one, but it's
all over now. I was supposed to be following the Governor's race, as
well, but blessedly, it was almost an oasis of calm in the media storm.

South Dakota? I want to give Stephanie Herseth a hug. She ran a great
campaign, she's only 31, and she'll be back. I don't particularly like
Bill Janklow, her Republican opponent for the state's only House seat,
but when the national Republican party ran a nasty, erroneous attack ad
against Herseth, he was as outraged as she was, and they both demanded it
be pulled. As for the Senate race, Johnson and Thune pulled off a trick I
still can't quite grasp: the whole state is utterly sick of their
overwhelming, nasty ad war, but the voters-- upon whom an average of $35
EACH was spent (that adds up to MILLIONS spent in a state that only has
750,000 people)-- turned out in droves to voice their opinions, and
seemed almost pained to have to choose between two hard-working guys whom
everybody says really do seem to mean well.

And we followed the races and the coverage so closely-- we all got
personally wrapped up. The webmaster in Iowa, Tad, was great, and I told
him I owe him a box of doughnuts. Their site is great, with quizzes and
issue grids and all. KELO did some cool stuff-- and they're still at it.
All of us built relationships with our stations-- well, except Kellie,
who had to work through a mediator to get anything done at her wreck of a
station in Pittsburgh. But then again, it's Pittsburgh. And Russ-- his
station was WCCO in Minnesota. When Senator Wellstone's plane went down,
he was crushed. "I felt like I knew the guy," he said.

So that brought us to last night with a very different perspective from
most of the rest of the voting public. We concentrated actively on
getting issue coverage, and on polls and surveys, not all the nasty media
attacks and tricks. When you strip away the screaming and the
recriminations and the video, you're left with real people who may
disagree, but are at least willing to go to the line for what they
believe in. We all had our personal choices in all our markets, nine of
which in which we couldn't even vote-- while the Annenberg Public Policy
Center is strictly non-partisan, the Annenberg Public Policy faculty,
staff and students are not.

The results took longer to come in, since VNS threw in the towel. And at
first we were all bright-eyed and cheerful-- especially when the pizzas
arrived. And then, as the evening progressed, we watched the candidates
we'd been quietly rooting for slowly start to fall off the radar, one
after the other. Good men and women who, their campaign managers and
media handlers aside, got into politics for good reasons, and fought
long, hard battles because they believed in something and wanted to prove
it. It's always like that-- someone has to win, and someone has to lose.
But it was hard to watch, especially when you consider we're a room full
of idealistic liberals. Hardest of all, of course, was Russ' race-- all
ballots in Minnesota are hand-counted, so results were painfully slow
coming in. But when they did, it was a little disheartening.

I stayed long after almost everyone else left. The beer was gone, the
last remaining sandwiches had begun to call each other names, and
tumbleweeds blew through the pizza boxes, all of Iowa had turned off the
lights and gone to bed, but South Dakota was still up. I stayed until the
security guard started giving the last two of us the hairly eyeball, and
finally, dispirited, with my candiates only 1% apart, I had to crawl home
at 1am.

Before I even checked my mail this morning at 9am, I looked at South
Dakota. Still no answer, and a recount looked inevitable. I scrambled
into work by 10, and still, no clear answer. Matter of fact, I've just
checked again, and theough KELO is declaring Johnson the victor, they're
also carefully noting that Thune hasn't quite officially conceded. With
only 528 votes between them, I'm not sure I would, either.

Still. In the end, all the hype and spitting aside, it worked. Voter
tunout was, in some places, astonishingly high for mid-term elections.
People are as connected or disconnected as they want to be. I don't care
for whom you voted-- okay, I do, but that's neither here nor there-- but
if you went out and voted, you participated. You participated. We
participated. Love it or hate it, everyone did what they were supposed
to, and what happened happened.

Now if you'll excuse me, my President just voted in New Hampshire, and
I'm worried about why his hands are shaking.

Ysoie