RE: Good Citizens (not so very long.)

ok so it's not related, except in a kindness sort of thread....

i got an email today from a friend. i used to work with him

he told me there were some nice people i should meet: jose and maria.

sounded good to me.

he went on to explain, they are from el Salvador, to the US via Mexico,
since they cannot afford asthma medicine for their baby.

they were in Dallas, and someone put them on the bus to here (Fort wayne)
with a duffel bag.

they are legal (of course).

so it turns out they were both owrking in a south american restaurant for
.75 an hour. and they have work papers!

so he heard from someone that another ocmpany in town (the owner of this
company is alos part owner of the company i used to work for)
Americanspice.

so he walked for 45 minutes to find out if they were hiring. they weren't.
until dan heard the guy's story.

he decided to hire them both.  friday jose didn't call, didn't come. turns
out later, he'd been arrested cos his boss made him take the car to run
some errands (never drove in his life).

he still has the job at spice, and he is so grateful.

we've all been digging in our closets for stuff for them. they have/had
nothing. the apartment they were staying in (had anothe rcouple of guys),
and they hit on his wife (maria) big time.  so they found a new place,
which incidently is owned by the guy who owns the building which rents to
the south american restaurant.

so the owner was surprised, and offerd to open his warehouse (full of left
behind things) and let them get what they need.

the whole thing has been reported to the dept of wages and labour.

it relieves me to know someone is taking care of them, and that people can
still be kind. it makes me mad that they were so taken adv of.
unfortunately, iguess this is common. along with the attitude (like
someone here at work) of 'stay in your own *** country.

they now live a couple blocks from me, and i hope my spanish is good
enough for them to understand...

anyway i found it interesting.

rhys