Re: My Way vs. Yesterday

--- Kelvin Bailey <captainbackfire at mfire_com> wrote:

> From: "E Geist" <i_scoobysnak at yahoo_com>
>
> > will
> > sinatra be listened to 100 years from now after
> the
> > people who lived through his era (that era) are
> all
> > dead?  or will other "standards-type" singers end
> up
> > with the torch?  i definitely think that revolver,
> > rubber soul, and some others by the fabs will
> stand
> > that test of time, but that's just me.
>
> You're not seriously suggesting that the Beatles
> will stand the test of time
> but Frankie won't, are you?  You do know that
> Frankie predated the Beatles
> by a good decade, as far as recordings go.  And he
> has definitely stood the
> test of time, at least as much as the Beatles.
> Don't get me wrong, I think
> the Beatles are swell...especially their later
> stuff.  But I honestly
> believe time will be kinder to Frankie than to them.
>
> just an opinion...

i dunno what i'm suggesting really.  i'm actually
really pretty generally ignorant of frankie's music.
i guess i hear diana krall (sp?) or harry conick or
norah jones or what i hear as "sinatra-type music,"
and it sounds generic/antiseptic to me at times.  but
that's just my ear -

cool sig, by the way... there's a part in the kerouac
documentary (which i highly recommend, if you haven't
seen it) where herbert huncke takes credit for having
introduced jack to sinatra's music.  so i guess i
can't argue with kerouac and huncke, ri'???  ;)

eric

"all i know about writing is that you have to stick to
it with the energy of a benny addict."
-sal paradise