Re: My Way vs. Yesterday

On Wed, 30 Oct 2002, E Geist wrote:
> will sinatra be listened to 100 years from now after the people who
> lived through his era (that era) are all dead?  or will other
> "standards-type" singers end up with the torch?

Considering Sinatra didn't even write most of his songs, I would think the
songs will carry on and be interpreted by new artists just as they were
interpreted by older artists.  ('My Way', FWIW, was written by a Canadian
named Paul Anka, and it has been covered by Sid Vicious and others.)

Some of those old Cole Porter and Gershwin and Hart & Rodgers tunes are
really, really cool, IMNSHO.  I can't imagine them ever going away.

 If true love never did exist how could we know its name? -- Sam Phillips
          Happiness happens but I want joy. -- Marjorie Cardwell